Windhoek, Namibia Accommodations?

Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:17 PM
DE

Windhoek, Namibia Accommodations?

Any recommendations for very good hotels, etc. in Windhoek.

Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:47 PM

Hello De,

I can recommend 2 agents. One I have used when I was in south africa just a few months ago and there is another who used to live in my hometown so I know who she worked for. Here it is: please mention my name as they both know me. One is www.wildtravel.co.za or you can e-mail Christo Hauptfleisch at [email protected] The next one is http://www.golf-travel-packagessouthafrica.com Don't let "golf" throw you. Her name is Karen and she can be reached at [email protected]
Please let me know
Kind regards, Patricia
Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:55 AM

Our agent has recommended and booked us into the Hilltop House in Windhoek - we're there for one night before flying down to Wolwedans for 3 nights.This will be in June 2004.

Wolwedans itself is a fabulous place, we loved it so much we'll be renewing our wedding vows there. That said, I wouldn't replace a Sesriem/ Sossusvlei lodge with time there, but add it to the itinerary if you have a couple of extra nights, before or after the nights in Sesriem/ Sossusvlei.

Kavey
Mar 23rd, 2003, 08:16 AM
DE

Many Thanks for the info. We are already dealing with an agency that was recommended to us who is putting things together, after us choosing various lodges & camps for an itinerary, but its always good to have alternatives. Just recently decided to add Namibia to the trip & wIll look into the Hilltop House in Windhoek. Again thank you both for all your suggestions. DE

Mar 23rd, 2003, 08:54 AM
DE

Kavey,
Hilltop House looks like a lovely B & B overlooking the city. NIce choice. As far as Sossusvlei is concerned, did you stay or spend time at the Lodge or the Wilderness Camp? I didn't realize these were two different places and have just seen descriptions and pictures of both. I think our accomm. will be at the Camp.

Mar 23rd, 2003, 09:09 AM

DE we stayed at what was called the Movenpick Sossusvlei Lodge: http://www.namibweb.com/sos.htm

We didn't like it that much. Accommodation itself was fine and the pool and bar areas were pleasant. Service was poor - part of the problem was that the place was big - about 50 chalets rather than the handful of chalets/ tents/ rooms in other places we stayed on the trip.

On the first night there was a good buffet dinner laid on - on our second night, there were less guests but still a fair number, but the buffet was very very limited.

If I were to go back in time I'd pick from amongst those properties run by Wilderness Safaris at that location.

My pick would probably be Sossusvlei Wilderness or Kulala Tented.

Wolwedans is another camp a little further south than Sossusvlei Wilderness and is located in the NamibRand Reserve. If you do want to visit it, you'll still want to stay at least one night in a camp up nearer to the Dunes in order to get into the Sossuvlei area itself as early as possible.

If you have the time to spare I'd recommend a couple of nights up near Sossusvlei and a couple further South in Wolwedans Dune Lodge.

Kavey
Mar 24th, 2003, 02:59 AM

I stayed at the Windhoek Country Lodge whilst on business in Namibia in Dec '02. It is a 4 star hotel just outside Windhoek but with a regular bus service into town.

I would recommend it any day. See http://www.legacyhotels.co.za/asp/ho....asp?hotelid=7 for more info.

Do yourself a favour and have supper at Joe's Beer House, it is quite an experience. I would recommend that you make reservations early as it is very popular.
Mar 24th, 2003, 03:53 AM

I stayed at Hilltop house and wasn't happy with the ambience (very quiet, almost depressing )and there was no central meeting place or bar, although the accommodation was comfortable and adequate.

I have been advised to try Villa Verdi or Hotel Heinitzburg for my future visit.
Mar 24th, 2003, 09:13 AM
DE

Thanks to all,
We have asked our agent to look into Heinitzburg Hotel as a first choice & Hilltop next. Will also take a look at Verdi Villa.

Search this Thread