Who makes the baskets and.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned from one of my guides on my trip to Kenya last August that certain tribes make specific crafts. However, I did not find out who makes the beautiful baskets I bought at the gift shop at Sweetwaters. Does anyone know which tribe that could possibly be?

The other treasure from Africa I am curious about is a ceramic cheetah with the initials of AW (the A is joined with the W). I have 2 that were purchased about 24 years ago somewhere in Kenya (cannot remember where I bought one---the other was a gift). They are both very well done, with intricate detail (especially the eyes) and, as I recall, not horribly expensive but not inexpensive either).
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 07:19 PM

Not sure if this will be of interest to you but a few years ago I received, as a gift, a cheetah pickle fork (yep who knew they even existed!) made of pewter by Diane Carmichael. I absolutely love it and hope to find more in Nairobi in June.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi KathBC,
Thanks for your response.

Never seen one of those, but if it's in the form of a cheetah, it's gotta be special.

Can't say I saw anything like that on this last trip--but then I wasn't really looking for cheetah pickle forks!
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 03:53 AM

Carmichael (from JNB) has a whole range of cheetah tools:

http://www.dianacarmichael.co.za/pro...hp?cat=cheetah
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 04:52 AM

Perhaps you could send an e-mail via the "Contact Us" page on www.serenahotels.com and ask them to send your request to Sweetwaters, one of their properties. The website also has phone and fax numbers for the camp.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 03:56 PM

A cheetah pickle fork! Wow! Now that's a gift for the person who has everything. I can envision plucking some gherkins right from the pickle jar with this utensil. Who needs a plate?

I like ShayTay's idea of going straight to the source to find out more about the baskets.

Whatever the response, Live Aloha, you need to start planning another trip. Return to Kenya, Basket-Quest!
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 06:16 PM

For all you disbelievers...

http://www.dianacarmichael.co.za/pro...&site_user_id=
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

And there you have it! A most stunning pickle fork I must say (I didn't even know there was such a thing)! If only I could find a link for my beloved ceramic cheetahs...still searching for the artist.

ShayTay--thanks for the suggestion and link---great idea!

atravelyn--would you believe I bought 5 baskets with the intention to give them away as gifts....until I found the perfect spot for 4 of them on my teak corner unit (I love them all). Couldn't stand to part with the 5th one, so I keep it as a back up in the rotation!
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 09:18 AM

Go to the source, Serena, for info as from whom they purchase these baskets for sale in their shops.

Bear in mind some establishments (as Serena) may have items made for them specifically, so there's no guarantee going to the "tribe" directly will get you the same... maybe similar.

Much like Kazuri beads, where what you find in their Kenyan shops you don't fine elsewhere around the world, at the few places they allow to sell.

In fact, some of the camps have the Kikoi they sell made exclusively for them from fabric, terry linings, little velcro pockets to secure a few $$ or shillings.

But, no harm asking and go from there.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 07:50 PM

Basket rotation--brilliant!

KathBC, thank you for the link. A work of art.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 11:01 PM
Original Poster

So, I emailed serenahotels. com about the baskets and this is the response I got:
Greetings USER from serens hotels!

this is the confirmation email sent in return your form submission. This is not an auto generated reply so don't be hesitated to reply to this...

Thank you,

http://www.serenahotels.com/serena-h...efault-en.html

Guess I'll try again and see what happens when I respond to this email.
I'm on a mission now.....
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 06:50 AM

Did you book through a safari planner? They may have an e-mail address for Sweetwaters. You could also try [email protected] .
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 09:41 AM

Phew! Incredible talent - Diana Carmichael ..... not just artistic, but, awesome design!!!
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 06:20 PM

Yes that little pickle fork started my love affair with Diana Carmichael's work and altho she's from South Africa, I'm hoping to pick up more treasures in Nairobi.

Live_aloha...don't give up on your quest!
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 10:40 AM

you have picked my curiosity with Diana Carmichael, I need to have a look at these on my first trip to South Africa next week. I love unusual gifts from my travels. I have been checking back every evening to find out about these baskets
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 10:44 AM

Incredible, I just went online and saw DC's cheetah silverware, wow...I know it must be terribly expensive but I have to have a look when I am in Cape Town....I can see the love affair.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 06:19 AM

live_aloha

I can help a bit. Basket-making is widespread among Kenya's different tribes, but the Kamba are probably the best-known for it, having used baobab fibre and then later sisal when it was brought in and grown on plantations. The waKamba also actually started the souvenir wood-carving industry, so have a lot to answer for/be proud of (depending on your pov!)

Richard
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Richard! Appreciate the info.

I had also wondered about what the baskets were made out of, so your response answered that question as well.

Do you have any idea about how the colors are made? The baskets I have are mostly earth tones-- light and dark brown, golden and burnt orange.

Now, how about the cheetahs? Any idea who "AW" is? Ceramic artist who specialized in cheetahs about 20+ years ago?
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 04:35 PM

I have returned from the most incredible holiday I believe I have ever had. We had four days in Cape Town, went to Stellenbosch and area on one day, cape point the second. I picked up some DC items at a store in the V&A Waterfront mall. We had four days at Sabi Sabi and I cannot say enough wonderful things about Earth Lodge This was our first Safari - hopefully I will be able to put together a short trip report in the next few weeks. Thanks for telling me about DC, it is fun stuff.....
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 05:20 PM

Hey returntoyourseat welcome back & glad to hear you had an amazing time! Will watch for your report & photos. Did you pick up any of the DC stuff? How were the prices?

Still wondering how live aloha is making out with her basket search and those ceramic cheetahs. Have just over a month before I leave so am getting my shopping list ready!