whirling dervish show in Cairo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know where I can see the whirling Dervish?
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 10:03 AM

The free Sufi concert in Cairo is at the Wikala of Sultan Al-Ashraf Qansuh Al-Ghuri. The guide books map will probably have it labeled as Wikala of al-Ghuri. You use a footbridge to cross Sh Al-Azhar street to get to the Mosque-Madresa and Mausoleum of Al-Ghuri complex. From there walk a few blocks east to get to the Wikala.

Check your guide books (Fodors, Lonely Planet, etc.) for it.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 08:27 PM

We saw the whirling dervishes at Wikala al-ghuri, as mentioned by Axel2DP. If memory serves, the shows are on Wednesdays and Saturdays (it is listed in several guide books, including Frommers -- can't remember if it's in Fodors). Get there early, as they are extremely crowded and of limited capacity. We arrived an hour early and were about 2/3 of the way through the crowd that made it in the door. It was really fun, and I highly recommend it if it can fit into your schedule!
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

thanks. will check it out, if possible.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 03:25 AM

Can any one recommend a place to eat near the whirling dervishes.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 03:56 AM

Is there another great place to see a whirling dervish show? Wednesday and Saturday, unfortunately, won't work for my schedule.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 06:58 AM

Yes, in Turkey

I haven't seen the show described anywhere else in any of the guide books other than at the Wikala of al-Ghuri on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Are you arranging your trip through an angency or Egyptian guide? If you are then I would pose the question to them to see if they have any insider knowledge on what else might be offered. I highly recommend making time for the show if you're in Cairo though. It's really a great show and a great time for the audience.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 04:48 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I'll be in Luxor on Wednesday and heading home to the States on Saturday. Maybe next time...
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 10:04 AM

What any guide or agency will tell you is that you can see a Dervish act on any Nile Cruise, and/or Nile Dinner Cruise. They don't have the same full show that is quite as religious and dramatic as the one at the Wikala al Ghuri, but you will see the fun colorful act done. That is what most tourists really want to see anyway, so it suffices for most.
There is another joint out near the Le Meridian Pyramids Hotel that does a dinner and a Dervish show each evening (mabye). All of the alternatives are very touristy and a little over priced, but fun if you want to see it.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 12:24 PM

I read on the nileguide page, that the shows are presented 3 days per week. Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. I will be staying at the Le Meridian Pyramids. Casual_Cairo, do you have an idea where the show you mentioned, is located?
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 11:47 PM

I guess I tossed their brochure. sorry. I am 99% sure though that if it is still in business (business ideas like this come and go) the Le Meridian will know about it, as it is literally around the corner from the Le Meridian, back a few blocks. If they don't know, be cautious about who takes you where for it, but I would still try this - go outside the hotel. Out on the street you will find at least a few men standing around that are waiting for the likes of you to show up and ask them for help. They will know where this place is (again if it still exists) and they can take you there. IF they want to put you in their car, I would be wary, as I am pretty certain it is walking distance to the hotel. The reason I say to be wary, is only because they may want to take you down town somewhere or somewhere completely different, and once you are taken somewhere else, IF you aren't happy with where they took you, then the problems start, as clearly you don't want to pay him and he wants to be paid.
Hopefully the Le Meridian will know of the venue close to them and be able to answer your questions about it. I am not sure, but I think they offer a dinner show with the dancing and all. It's probably a lot like going out on the Nile Dinner Cruise without being on a boat.