Need Guides for Cairo and Luxor...

Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:04 PM
Steve D.

Need Guides for Cairo and Luxor...

Hi everyone.

As usual we have found great information here for our upcoming trip to Cairo / Luxor (last 2 weeks of September). What did people do before the internet!?

I would like to hire a guide to show my wife and I around the major sites in both Cairo and Luxor. I have read you can find guides for hire outside these sites, but I cannot see how that is very dependable. I'd hate to end up with someone who barely knows anything.

In Rome there is a company that co-ordinates guides for tourists (the guides are typically US Ex-pat grad students). Is there anything similar in Egypt?

As there probably isn't, could someone please recommend a guide, or give some hints on how to find a decent one.

Thanks a million.

Steve D.
Chicago, Illinois

Aug 23rd, 2002, 10:50 AM
gail

I have no idea how to hire a reliable guide, but I can assure you that in Egypt it would be a horrible idea to try to find one by asking outside a major tourist site. It seems to be part of the culture to try to scam tourists, more so than other places we have been. Read some of the past posts here on people being shown to "their uncle's perfume shop" or "travel agency". We tried to take this all in good humor - especially while following some guy down ever-narrowing alleys as he was going to show us a good restaurant (better than the one we were about to enter).

While we were on a group tour, our guide told us all legitimate tour guides are licensed/approved by Egypt tourism. Ours was incredibly knowledgeable - had a Masters degree in Antiquities.

Hope someone else has a way to find a personal reliable guide. Beware. Every once and a while some post surfaces here from someone offering to be a guide around Egypt. Not exactly how I would hire someone, either.

Oct 18th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Andrea

Topping - I have the same concerns and questions - anyone have some advice? Thank you.

Oct 18th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Michael

Steve, the concierge at your hotel should be able to arrange a guide for you. If you meet one at a site or at the airport, while there is a chance he would be good, there's a better chance that you'll spend a significant portion of your time at papyrus and perfume shops. Do your research before you go (the Lonely Planet to Cairo is comprehensive) so you can ask good questions and give the guide informed instructions on what you want to see. For what its worth, when I went I just used a guide that I found at the airport, but I knew exactly where I wanted to go (my time was quite limited) and the guide was accomodating. When he tried to get me to visit his "family's papyrus shop" I gave him $5 and told him to keep the show moving.

Apr 7th, 2004, 05:11 PM

LOL....I will have to use that one!!!

Search this Thread