Which cell company

Jul 2nd, 2005, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Which cell company

We are getting a cell phone in Israel. Either an amigo phone or a cellcom phone. There are many companies that offer each of these.
Is either cell company better (amigo or cellcom)? i.e. better reception in various places? We will be in Jerusalem, Tiberias, Tel Aviv and the Dead Sea.

Thanks!
Jul 4th, 2005, 12:55 AM
eri

Cellcom and Orange (Partner)are the 2 main cell companies in Israel. The 3rd in line Pelefon. Amigo is a tiny conpany. Living in Israel, I have never encountered anyone using their service.
Jul 4th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Amigo is actually a USA company. Before leaving the US for Israel you rent their phone to be used there. I have used them once. They were OK (I think they use Pelephone's network in Israel).

Last year and this year I've been using TravelCell, which I find more professional and has better rates (they use Cellcom in Israel). TravelCell rents out cell phones for many foreign countries besides Israel.
Jul 5th, 2005, 03:29 AM
eri

Mamamia,
I feel like we are always in agreement. However, I think this time the question concerns getting an Israeli cell phone for longer periods. Amigo is operating in Israel within Motorola. They also have a web site:
http://idenphones.motorola.com/iden/...o?carrier=mirs
But as I mentioned before, they are not popular among the Israelis. I think that Amigo is mostly used, if at all, by service providers and small businesses.
If anyone want to purchase an Israeli cell phone, I would recommend using Orange, Cellcom or Pelephone. They all have good coverage all over Israel and their main advantage over the American phones is the incoming calls are absolutely free! You only pay for waht you dial. There is no need to purchase their service in advance from the States. You just have to enter to one of their offices and purchase a phone which you can start using right away. Their service is easy and efficient.
Jul 5th, 2005, 04:57 AM

eri,

Yes, for longer stay than a month, and especially for one who travels to Israel frequently, yes, it makes more sense to get an Israeli cell phone with no contract.

BTW, incoming calls are FREE even with those phones rented in the USA.
Jul 5th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I was asking because Amigo has a walkie talkie feature and we are travelling with friends and it would be convenient to be able to talk to each other for free.
The rates for Amigo and cellcom were similar.
We decided to go with Amigo for the walkie talkie feature. I hope they work. We will have them for a week.

Thanks!
Laura

Search this Thread