Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to find eneloop charger that takes 220?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading all the good things about the Sanyo eneloop rechargeable AA batteries on this site (as well as others), I bought a bunch.

I opened it today, however, and saw that the one I purchased accepted only 110V. Anyone have a good suggestion on where to purchase one that works on 220-240V?
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 06:48 PM

magellans.com
you could get a new charger or just buy a converter.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Most chargers come with batteries so you'll end up buying even more batteries. And probably not Eneloops which are my preferred AA batteries these days. Also when you are looking remember that a small charger is good for traveling.
Now, where can you find one? Depends some on where you live. Here in beautiful sunny southern California I would go to Fry's Electronics, or Walmart, or Target, or Circuit City or Best Buy.

regards - tom
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:32 PM

One that works "automatically" on 110, 220, etc. is the MAHA C204W (or MH C204W) from Thomas Distributing (www.thomas-distributing.com). This charges 4 batteries at a time and has a detachable power cord (great for those times you don't have the space to plug a big charger into the wall socket!) You'll need an adapter for the plug when traveling (see Magellan's web site for a guide to the proper plug for a country). I used this in China flawlessly. (Check Thomas Distributing's web page for an offer that includes battery carriers (neat) and some other extras.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. This is good stuff, and actually more than I needed.

I got a charger with the eneloops, but the charger takes 110 only. I have to assume that Sanyo sells the exact same charger in other parts of the world, but runs on 220. I was hoping someone on this board could recommend a place.

Fortunately, I already have all my adapters, batteries, and everything else. Yesterday I was doing my "run-through" and found out I needed a 220 (or 110/220 combo) charger.

Thanks!
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:27 PM

The MAHA C204W is the charger I take with me. It is relatively small and light and plugs directly into the wall AC power. (No little transformer needed). You just need the physical adapter to change from 2 prong to whatever.
regards - tom
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 04:34 AM

I had the same issue with Energizer batteries. I didn't know they weren't dual voltage until I got to Nairobi. Heck, even my Ipod charger is dual voltage.

The saving grace for me was that it came with a car charger which I used everyday in the Land Cruiser. Just changed the batteries everyday and always had a full set charged.

So, if you have a car charger you should be OK.

Duane
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Maha 204W - nice. I didn't realize that the Maha worked with the eneloop batteries at first.

Thanks again everyone.