Where Should I Go in Africa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2008, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a 43 yr. old swf who will be traveling alone. I have enough frequent flier miles to get me to Africa. I need opinions on where I should go. I have already been to South Africa and would like to go to another country. I would like to have some time in a city and do perhaps a safari for only several days. I love "culture shock" but I admit that at the end of the day I want to be in a clean motel/hotel with my diet coke. So I guess I'm looking for a place that has a fairly good option of accomodations and a good infrastrcture. I'm a pretty independent but I would like to travel to a place that, as a single woman, I could travel without significant problems. I also love to shop. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 11:25 PM

One option would be Namibia... Great landscapes, tribes (Himba, Bushmen), Wildlife (Etosha)and the country have a large range of accomodation.. The infrastructure is pretty good in most of the country and crime towards tourists is pretty low.. You can check this website for more inspiration www.namibian.org
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:04 AM

Depends on time of year but I say Kenya. Fly from Nairobi to Samburu to the Masai Mara to Lamu and back to NBO. Would avoid troubles. Prices very low, a great deal. Or Tanzania is going in end or beginning of the year.

Kevin
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:39 AM

We have been to Kenya years ago and Tanzania months ago and for right now, vote for Tanzania. We loved it and accomodations were great. You could take any length of safari and be happy. We visited Tarangire, Ngorongoro and the Serengeti and then Zanzibar. See photos at www.pbase.com/pattyroth
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:43 PM

I don't think Diet Cokes or Pepsis are very common in places other than South Africa. I stick to water so I could be wrong.

Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:17 PM

I drink a lot of Diet Coke in Africa as I find it is the best thing to keep me hydrated - I only drink water when on game drives.

Diet coke is available pretty much every where in Kenya and Tanzania - lodges, places where drivers stop for toilet breaks etc. Very occasionally, due to supply problems, they have run out and you have to have the 'regular' type, but I think this has only happened twice in 5 trips.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:29 AM
sniktawk

If anybody could tell me where you can go where you can not get Diet or any other form of that drink? Then let me know, I would like to go there.

Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:52 AM

sniktawk - you'll probably have to buy yourself an island!
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:10 AM

We saw quite an array of liquor and soft drinks at all the camps and hotels we stayed at in Tanzania and Kenya.

When you say shopping do you mean roadside stands, villages or actual stores?
Also do you have a budget in mind?
Are you willing to travel with others?
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:44 AM

My bad on the soft drinks. I just remember hearing several times at a variety of places, "I am sorry we do not have Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi, but we have regular."

Wish I could tell you exactly where that was Sniktawk.

For wildlife viewing you can check out these links that show the best times to go throughout Africa. Best usually correlates highly with most expensive.

There 2 are for all over Africa
http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html

http://www.bornfreesafaris.com/best_travel.htm

This is primarily the best safari at different times in Tanzania.
http://www.kiliwarriors.com/

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great information. When I say shop it could be anywhere: markets, villages, big cities etc. I also have to keep the price low. I have been looking into Ethiopia. Any other info or opinions? Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 05:18 AM

Lynn,
Now that you mention it, I don't think I saw much in the way of diet sodas, as well.

As a matter of fact, I remember joking with a few guides about this. Diet anything amused them tremendously.

lilypoo,
There was an interesting report awhile ago from a woman who went to Ethiopia.
No expert, but Ethiopia may not meet your requirements.
Good luck!