Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

When Visiting Kenya There Is More To See Than Just Animals

Jul 7th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

When we told friends we would be living and working in Kenya, they all thought the same thing--going on safari! While we did, of course, go to game parks, the unexpected highlight of our time was visiting archeological sites and museums, visits described in the post "It Ain't Just For Animals, People" on my blog, otherguysdime.wordpress.com. Upon their arrival, most people, myself included, are unaware of how much there is to see and do in the area of evolutionary biology and paleontology and how interesting and fun these trips can be. I hope those of you going to Kenya and/or Tanzania will allocate a little bit of time to visiting one of the fifteen Prehistoric National Parks, go on one of the excellent guided tours, and learn about the evolution of modern man in the Rift Valley area of East Africa.
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:50 AM

Very well said !

I did this as much as I could during my trip last August/September.

I did not want to just fly into Nairobi and head straight out to start seeing animals.

However, I realize that some people do not have the extra holiday time not the expense to cover " extra ground ".

But you make a valid point.
Jul 8th, 2010, 10:50 AM

Thanks for highlighting this exciting dimension to East African travel.
Jul 8th, 2010, 11:57 AM

For most it's totally different thing holidaying and LIVING in a country.

Of course as an Expat you have

- more time within the country
- more insight info given by colleagues
- get Resident rates for everything so financially it's a totally different approach

Advise is very good but for most unrealistic to realise for the a.m. reasons.
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Dear Spassvogel,

The entire purpose of my blog is to show that there ABSOLUTELY is a difference between holidaying in a country and living there. However, I disagree with your final comment "for most it is unrealistic to realize." In my blog I show that just about any professional with a marketable skill--doctor, dentist, lawyer, business person, engineer, scientist, artist, clergy, etc.--can do exactly what I and my family have done 15 separate times--live and work overseas for a short-term period (typically 1-9 months) on what I call a "working vacation". They are taken during my summer vacations (I am a teacher), sabbaticals, or during a short-term leave of absence--something many professionals can apply for and get.

I cannot tell you how many people have told me "You are so lucky" or "You are really special to have done all this." Well, let me tell you I am not special. I work at a small Midwestern college, did not graduate from Harvard or its ilk, and I do not have a very impressive resume. I am also not lucky--unless you call working my ass off to find and negotiate wonderful overseas positions "lucky." Believe me when I say that if you have a skill that is in demand overseas (and many are) then it is NOT unrealistic to locate a working vacation. In fact, for most people the only thing stopping them is their own doubts and uncertainties.

I really suggest you give it a try. My blog can help you to get started. Good luck.