Question About Egyptian Arabic Language

Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Question About Egyptian Arabic Language

I am trying to learn a moderate amount of Egyptian Arabic for my upcoming trip to Egypt. I'm using the Pimsleur method, which asks the learner to repeat what they hear, with no accompanying text. I am unsure about a few of the sounds I am hearing, and would like to be more exact. I have two Egyptian Arabic/English dictionaries, but most of their translations are very different from what I am hearing on my tapes. Would anyone know of a source where I might verify how to pronounce certain Arabic words? Or could anyone with command of the Egyptian Arabic language possibly verify a few words for me? Thanks for any help.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:47 PM

All I can comment on are the Pimsleur CD's. If you have the same ones I have, they are rubbish. I had lived in Egypt for about 5 yrs when I had those given to me. I knew some Egyptian Arabic as I'd taken a couple sets of classes at ILI during my stay here - and during lesson #1, I was completely lost with Pimsleur. They kept giving words I'd never heard of. I thought that was odd as I figured I must know a bit of the beginning stuff. I asked an Egyptian friend what these words meant. She laughed and said they had the wrong words for things like "excuse me" and some others. I gave up on Pimsleur then...figured why should I learn something wrong?
The rest of it may not be as bad as the first CD, but how would I know? If they messed up the very beginning CD, why would I assume the rest were right?
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:10 AM

Have to retract what I said about Pimsleur being rubbish. I had an Egyptian friend over today that said they actually are pretty good - however that first lesson is messed up. That part was agreed upon, so start with lesson 2 and you'll be fine.
Jul 4th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the warning about the first Pimsleur Arabic lesson. The problem will be that the lessons reinforce throughout the course, so I need to have an idea of the actual beginning phrases. Might it be possible for me to post the first few phrases, along with what I think they really should be, and get a review?
For instance: "excuse me" (to get someone's attention) = "min fad-lak". Thanks for any help.
Jul 4th, 2010, 09:41 AM

Min fad lak (to a male) is correct
Min fad lik (to a female) is correct

Lau Sa-mot is another way to say it when you are trying to get someones attention. I think I've written it the best way to pronounce it.
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:50 PM

So far, I only know La Shukran! lol
Jul 5th, 2010, 07:52 PM

CC - wouldn't CDs #2 thru whatever rely on what was taught on CD#1???

I fully appreciate what the OP is trying to do - but for me, knowing some very basic travel/greeting phrases AND being able to recognize the numbers (since not everything is written in our 1,2, 3 variety) was the most valuable when I first go to Cairo.
Jul 8th, 2010, 03:44 PM

hello Iamogood,

so, will you be working on a third language after After turkish and arabic? and when is the trip?