what would you do?

Old Jan 20th, 2020, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

what would you do?

Ok all you seasoned travelers....what would you do if first time visiting Johannesburg and had an entire day to spend? Prefer cultural experiences and priority is Apartheid Museum. Is traffic and crime really that bad?..and if so, what is the best transportation option? Will be headed to Botswana after a day/night layover, and will spend another day upon return before heading back to home in Hawai’i
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 10:52 PM

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...-do/index.html

Plenty to do in Jo'berg. Loved the city .But after being told that its unsafe, felt insecure all the time, though nothing untoward happened in all the number of times I've been there. I'm fond of food so most of the time was spent foraging. Have been to a few attractions mentioned above.Jo'berg to me has only been a transit stop.
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 04:45 AM

I would not worry about crime in daylight. If you are worried, book a car and driver, for peace of mind.

I enjoy the Kim Sacks Gallery.
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for responding. So much to consider.....hopefully we won’t be brain dead after flying for 24 hrs. This is our only shot at spending time in Johannesburg though. Is uber an option? We’ll be staying overnight near the airport.
appreciate your advise!
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 05:32 AM

They use UBER a lot in SA, although I am not sure I ever used it in J'Berg. Ask at your hotel.