Search

What must go? Kenya or Tanzania

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What must go? Kenya or Tanzania

Hi folks,
I am realizing that I cannot have all the candy in the candy store. I have a limited amount of time and money for my "once in a lifetime trip". We have 14-15 days on ground in Africa- at least 4-5 days will (hopefully) be spent in Rwanda with the gorillas and the rest in Tanz/Kenya. I think we are traveling in June although November is a (remote) possibility.
Our desires are NG crater, Serengeti, View of Kili, Sheldrick/Giraffe manor, lots of elephants, zebras, flamingos, wild dogs (although I own one), cats of all sizes--you know the drill. I am not so interested in kills/crossings/ kitsch. Many years ago (25?), my mother and I looked at a CE flyer for veterinarians staying at the Treetop in Tarangire. The price was doable, however we did not go. She died not long after. I am sure you see where this is going....
I am calculating $6000. for Rwanda including gorilla permits.
Ideas? Which country should I savor?
Should I book this myself? stay at one place? go through a local operator in Kenya/Tanzania?
Thank you for helping
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 02:14 PM

The reports are that the Rwanda gorilla trekking permits will be raised June 1 to $750. You'd want to go 2 days to (hopefully) ensure seeing them. So, that's $1500 out of your budget before any travel expenses such as flights to and from Rwanda, transportation, lodging, guides, etc. That doesn't leave much for a safari. Since you'll most likely be going through Kenya, you might consider doing a safari there. In June the Migration herds are still in Tanzania, though. I'd suggest contacting a safari planner such as Bill Given at The Wild Source and get an idea of what the gorilla trip will cost and see if that's feasible along with a safari at your budget. I don't know that it is, at least for the length of time you say you have.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ShayTay.
I think Bill is unavailable at this time. (Budget of $6000 is for Rwanda alone-IF I can get gorilla permits at $500/pp/d ) Kenya/Tanzania would be additional.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
June is low or mid-season many places in Kenya. Mid or high-season in Tanzania. It is also (generally) less expensive to fly to Nairobi than Kilimanjaro from the US or Europe.

The gorillas will be a budget buster so I'd definitely try to figure out how much that will cost including flights.

I'd price out airfare to/from Kigali from Nairobi, JRO and...help me out here someone, didn't I read one can now fly to Kigali straight from...someplace near the western Serengeti? I am forgetting. pollydill, search for that info. I know I've seen it recently, either here or on safaritalk.net.

Off the top of my head, I think that Kenya will be a more reasonable option given the high cost of gorilla trekking. I am biased, though, because I fell in LOVE with Kenya on my last trip and am no longer interested in chasing the migration.

Tanzania is also wonderful, but can be tough on the wallet.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 12:47 PM

If Bill is out of the office, contact his Ops manager, Shannon (shannon at thewildsource dot com.) Leely2, Kayak is showing a nonstop Rwandair flight from JRO to Kigale for $281 one way, should Pollydill want to go to Tanzania. There are lots of options, pricewise, in Tanzania. It doesn't have to be a wallet buster.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Leely2,
I reread your wonderful trip report today...Now I am trying to squeeze in Ithumba.

Thanks for checking Kayak Shaytay!
I did hear from Bill, so that is good. I think I first heard of him through your posts.

Planning is dizzying but fun. If only I would win Megamillions tonight!
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was on safaritalk that I read about flying from the Serengeti to Rwanda. It's Coastal Air. Do not know about prices.

http://safaritalk.net/topic/7828-tan...for-2013-help/

Scroll down to posts 11, 12, 13 for details.