What is the best currency to take to Egypt?

Sep 15th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

What is the best currency to take to Egypt?

Am travelling to Taba Heights, Egypt next week and would like to find out which is the best currency to take along (apart from plastic!) - Egyptian Pounds, Pounds Sterling or US Dollars?
Sep 15th, 2004, 09:39 AM

If you need a visa you will need US$15 or UK£15 for this.

Other than that I would just use Egyptian Pounds. You'll obviously be able to use these everywhere and then you won't need to carry more than one currency around with you. Many places will only accept Egyptian Pounds so I don't think it makes sense to carry round another currency for the odd occasion you may be able to use it.

I think some people carry $1 notes to use for tipping/baksheesh which is part of Egyptian life but it makes as much sense to use Egyptian currency for this too.

Whatever you do, if you try and use currency other than Egyptian, don't use foreign coins as the locals have a difficult time getting rid or exchanging those. I had a number of Egyptians try and get me to exchange Euro coins they had been given.

Lots of places also may not accept card payment so make sure you are carrying enough currency with you.
Sep 15th, 2004, 12:31 PM
sandi

There have been numerous previous threads about currency in Egypt. Do a search at the top of the page - "Currency in Egypt" - the results will appear in the left column where you can read many responses on the subject.

Sep 15th, 2004, 02:34 PM

My mistake, it's $15 or £10 for the visa.
Sep 16th, 2004, 12:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot guys!

Search this Thread