What clothing for November...help a newbie

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be spending several days in Cape Town, several days in Hermanus, and several days at a safari camp in Sabi Sabi in mid November. I have NO IDEA what type of clothing to pack. Shorts, long pants, sweaters, tee shirts, jackets ?? With such strict airline regulations I'm trying to pack practical. Should I expect much warm weather, rain ??
I appreciate any help.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 11:52 AM

I just returned from taking a friend to REI for her first time trip needs for a Mala Mala/Matshatu trip we are going on. She did very well keeping things in perspective. There are a number of threads on this site, so you will find numerous ideas.

You can one-stop shop at an REI or like kind store for two pair of microfiber pants, with luck, find the ones that zip off at the knees creating capris. Two shirts, a few favorite t-shirts, one all around black jacket, two pair of light-weight socks and perhaps a vest. I believe Mala Mala is similar in climate, which was cool in the mornings-so the layer of a shirt and vest was nice last year.

Capetown was fine for the above mentioned clothing. There is a great outdoor store in the plaza shopping area if you forget anything.

Lastly, my friend was most concerned about shoes-tennis shoes take up too much room in your bag. We found several styles of Keen shoes that will work for everything.

Hope that helps, I am sure you will get other suggestions.

Less is better, pack once and then take some things out. No one cares if you wear the same shirt out on safari and then to dinner the next night. Same goes for shoes.

Hope the weather works out while in Capetown to get up to Table Mountain, if it is clear, GO-the weather changes by the hour. Also highly suggest the kingslip fish and chips at the Cape Grace bar.

You are in for such a great time, I am sure you will enjoy every minute of it!

Shellcat

Old Oct 4th, 2008, 02:26 PM

When we visited a few years back it was mid-Nov into Dec. Daytime temps in CPT were ideal, but this is also the time of year when those dark clouds roll in at night... it gets quite cold and windy. Needed a jacket/heavy sweater when outdoors.

By the time we arrived at Sabi Sands, it was rather hot and humid during the day, so glad our accommodations had a/c. We had occasional amazing afternoon thunderstorms which didn't last long and then it was bright sun... still humid. Evenings were still quite warm and we didn't need jackets; I used a shawl at night, though a few women were actually in slip-dresses.

I never buy anything special for safari, just my regular casual clothing - pants, t-shirts, tailored shirts, pair o long shorts for heat of the afternoons, though crop pants work at all times.

On my feet its usually mocassins when on safari; sandals, ballet slippers or mocassins when in cities.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. What is the dress for dinners...guessing kind of a country club casual ??
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM

I wore slacks everywhere... didn't bring any dresses or skirts. As above, with the exception of some of the younger (30-something) gals who were in slip-dresses at Singita, most of the women were wearing slacks, whether day-time khaki or another color.

Standard packing for me is black slacks to wear with a great sweater or shirt, chunky jewelry, and a shawl... I'm set to go. Oh, and ballet slippers on the feet.

Nowhere did we find it was formal... just nice casual, or as you refer to "country-club casual"
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 01:10 PM

We were in SABI SABI in early JAN
staying at both little bush and selati.
We did not bring special clothing for the evening. In fact we never changed from the afternoon game drive. That would have cut down dramatically into the sundowner time before dinner!
The days were hot and at no time were we cold or even cool.early morning or evening.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

I too will do the same. I wasn't sure if Hermanus was any "dressier"....it won't be for me since I'm packing light.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 04:27 PM

South Africa in general is very casual, much like Calif. It'll be HOT during the day on safari, but lighweight fleeece works well for the cool early mornings, and nights in the cities.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 08:24 PM

Hi jill1125

I was in the Sabi Sands in Dec07 to Jan08 and we had a cold spell and it was freezing cold during the day let alone at night and in the early morning. Other days it was 40C during the day, so you must be a bit prepared for all sorts of weather. I had a niece with me, and I ended up buying us both a big woolly fleece, even though we had I thought, enough warm clothes for early morning and evening.

Kind regards

Kaye