Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Well, maybe it wasn't a good day to go to Africa...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it seemed like a great day to go to Africa! But, it wasn't meant to be - we got to the Vancouver airport, and the flight was cancelled. Seems the pilot got 'ill' so they cancelled the whole flight. Wow, probably $100,000. to cover everyone's hotels, meals, missed connections and the pilots's sick pay on top of it all!

So, back we go tomorrow at 11:00 AM, which is the exact time we were suppossed to be meeting Kavey for Chinese food in London!

Maybe <i>tomorrow</i> will be a good day to go Africa!
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:26 PM

Hi LyndaS, sorry about the delayed departure....but, it will all be forgotten once you get on that plane and get to Africa.

Bon voyage!!!

Hari
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:36 PM

Hi Lynda

So sory to hear about your experience. I know it is a really deflating feeling however this sort of this does happen these days with airline travel. Don't worry too much and hopefully you will be in Africa tomorrow and all will be forgotten. I always believe &quot;God wants the best for me and everything happens for the best&quot;.

bon voyage...
Mohammed
(Sri Lanka)
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:50 AM

Oh Lynda, that's a bit of a bummer but at least you're still going - for a minute there I thought you weren't getting to go at all ...... it will all be worth it when you land in Nairobi (finally!)

Imelda
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:53 AM

WAAAAAAAAAAIL!
Was away this weekend so picked up your email this morning... am disappointed that our GTG can no longer happen BUT am even more distressed on your behalf that you're losing a day of your hard-earned holiday!
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:27 AM

Sorry to hear about the delay, but can't help &quot;inquiring minds want to know&quot;

- 1 pilot, only?

- What airline?

Old May 14th, 2007, 03:31 AM

Now if you had packed your son as the original plans called for, you'd have had your own backup pilot and could have turned a profit... Hope you're airborn today!
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Good luck tomorrow.
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

I LOVED Marija's solution! That would have been a good solution!

Sandi, it was (is) BA and it really did sound strange to everyone in that horrendous 'rebook connections' lineup. When I spoke to Jamie later (son) he told me he finds that absolutely impossible to believe, he said when he was flying for a bank mail drop company, they each had to take a turn, which convered every day of the week of being on 'on call'. They paid the people for this, not full pay, but still, they were obligated to be at home, or within reach of the airport the whole day in case someone called in sick. The only thing we could think of was that the pilot had an airborne infectuous sickness and they wanted to sanitize the plane. But then we probably watch way too many movies between the two of us and we have a fertile imagination!

So, for now I'm going with what Mohammed said - it wans't meant to be.

Thanks Hari &amp; Imelda also - you guys are right on, at least we won't miss our Africa connection - TODAY will be a good day to go!!!

The only disapointment is that we will miss Kavey and our day in London - we were looking forward to it. We had a fully prepaid non-refundable room at the Hilton (450.00 Cdn), but the BA rep said they would turn that into a day room for us while we wait for our flight to Nairobi, so that's OK. And she said they would refund my 45.00 prepaid transit tickets good only on May 14th - that I have to write in for. Jamie said I should also claim for a return ticket to London so we could go for dinner with Kavey another day....

Old May 14th, 2007, 06:59 AM

I think they should do more than just convert your hotel room to a day room - they should compensate you for that loss and pay for the day room themselves!

And do claim the train ticket if you prepaid it, absolutely.

If BA balk, use your travel insurance.
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I once spent a delightful night at YVR when my incoming BA flight went mechanical and diverted to JFK. The had to send a whole empty 747 all the way to pick us up (heaven forbid they rebook us on a competitor!) and comped us hotel rooms at Heathrow and gave most of us upgrades when the plane finally made it. I missed a business meeting in London that was quite hard to reschedule, and can affirm that Vancouver airport at 4 AM is not exactly abuzz with activity.

&quot;The world's favourite airline...&quot; uh-huh.
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Sorry to hear that Good luck today!
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, Lynda,

what bad luck!

It's good reminder that travel arrangements do go wrong, and if you're going a long way, having a couple of free days at the begining may pay off in the end! [also allows the luggage to catch up]

hope the rest of the trip is more successful,

regards, ann
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Lynda, what a drag. I know you'll forgot all this as soon as you set foot on Kenyan soil. Hang in there.
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Lynda,

I am sorry about your delay. Your sanitizing the plane scenario seems logical. There is something else going on here, I believe, besides an ill pilot.

Please keep us posted.
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:46 PM
bat

Lynda:

Sorry about the delay, but as others have said--it's great that you'll soon be in Africa. Have a wonderful trip.