Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

We are Considering Capetown for vacation...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 06:09 AM
Erin

Hi, <BR>I need your help! We just found this great package deal to Capetown. The price is $999 and that includes airfare from either NYC or Atlanta and six nights at a choice of three Protea hotels (The President, Victoria Junction and The Capetonian). We are four Black American women, ranging in age from 30 (me) to 53 (my mother) and we will be travelling alone (meaning no husbands, brothers or boyfriends). This will be our first trip EVER to Africa, so we are very excited. <BR> <BR>We are "seasoned" travelers, having been to Brazil, Mexico, Canada, Italy, Spain, France and England several times. We prefer do-it-yourself vacations with a combination of beach and culture. Will Capetown in November be the place for us??? We like our weather HOT (just got back from Rio de Janeiro 3 weeks ago and the weather was perfect, in the 90s). Will it be warm enough to go to the beach and actually get in the water? Other than Robben Island, what are other day trip options? Will it be feasible to go to a safari or game preserve? Can you recommend a good guidebook on SA, specifically Capetown? <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 08:29 AM
Patrick

Hi Erin, <BR> <BR>My wife and I went to CT in November, '99 and we absolutely loved it. The wine region was wonderful and the scenery was amazing. <BR> <BR>However, it is not "hot" in CT. The city is on the Atlantic and, as such, is quite temperate, even in the summer (our winter). The Atlantic seems like the coldest ocean in the world!! <BR> <BR>There are a few safari options not too far away but the best viewing is in Eastern SA - Kruger and miscellaneous small parks. <BR> <BR>Have a good trip and feel free to email me if you would like more info.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 02:17 PM
Jane

CT sea is cold even for those born abd breed there! November is summer and the days should be warm and suitable for the beach. The nights can get a little cool. The wine country (Stellenbosch, Paarl, Franschoek ) is very beautiful. You can go up the west coast which is stark by contrast.Depending on how long you will be there, you would have to fly to Johannesburg to pick up a safari. The "eastern transvaal" is a beautiful area and so it Natal. <BR>CT is a melting pot and you will find a variety of ethnic dining. You should try to go up Table Mountain when you are there. Where did you find that deal? I would love to visit again in December.

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 06:02 AM
Erin

Thanks everyone for your input! <BR> <BR>FYI…the deal I found was featured on the Arthur Frommer's website. (http://www.frommers.com//newsletters.../article3.html). The company is 2Afrika and they are supposed to send me a brochure some time this week. Of course the price does not include taxes and fees (an additional $200 more)…but I will wait to see the brochure. <BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 05:39 PM
Robyn

That fare sounds pretty good to me. Cape Town is beautiful. Protea hotels are very well known in SA. You must go up Table Mountain. Try do it in the <BR>early morning. The sights are beautiful. A day trip by boat <BR>to Robben Island (where Mandela was jailed) is also very <BR>interesting. Try get to Bloubergstrand (it's a beach). You <BR>can see Table Mountain from the other side of the bay. <BR>There is pub on the beach called the Blue Peter (I think) <BR>It is great to sit outside a look at the view. Their food <BR>is not too bad either. Take a day trip to Stellenbosch. It <BR>has some great wineries. If you don't go there go to Groot <BR>Constantia which is a very nice winery close to the city. <BR>Green Market Square is great for cheap souveniers and <BR>clothing. This is in the middle of Cape Town. If you can go <BR>to Hout Bay. This is where the fishing fleet come in with <BR>their catch. It has some really nice seafood take aways. <BR>Try a place called Snoekies. If you drive along the coast <BR>along Chapman's Peak etc it is very beautiful. You must go <BR>to Cape Point. This is where the two oceans meet at the tip <BR>of Africa. Sometimes you can actually see a line where they <BR>meet. Try get away from the middle of Cape Town. There are <BR>some beautiful places around. There are not that many Game Parks around Cape Town. If you can get to some around Johannesbug ie Kruger Park or Pilansberg. November is a good time to see the animals as the babies would have been born in the Spring. November is quite hot. Dec - Feb are the hottest months. The water around Cape Town are very cold. Enjoy your stay.

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 01:58 AM
Silvia Rotheimer

Hello from Vienna/Austria! <BR>I know SA very well. I was there 5 times. Capetown is a fantastic city. You can go without "bodyguards". Stay in the main areas and watch out by darkness. It is not more dangerous than New Orleans or NY. The Chapman's Peak Dive, Table Mountain, waterfront, the Wine area (Stellenbosch) is a must see. It is a wonderful country. Really! English Guide Books? "Lonely Planet"??? <BR>Enjoy it! <BR>Best regards from Europe <BR>Silvia

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 07:43 PM
Ian

Hello Erin, <BR>Cape Town is amazing. Other than Robben Island, wine tours and a day trip to Cape Point are a must. There are several companies that range from budget and up. The guide book that I used was Lonely Planet's Cape Town City Guide. Being a student, it had plenty of budget options, but I think it would be very beneficial to anyone traveling to CT. Have a wonderful time and enjoy.

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 05:11 AM
Erin

Thanks everyone for your input! I think we're going to book that trip next week. I can't wait!

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 12:53 AM
AJ

Hi Erin, <BR> <BR>Seems like you got good advice so far. I grew up in the wine region, and the western Cape is indeed a lovely part of the world. On the hotels: all Protea Hotels are more or less OK, mainly solid 3 stars, sometimes a bit soulless, but at least never a dump. Of the three you mentioned, I've only ever stayed in the Victoria Junction. It is an interesting one , and used by a lot of film crews for shooting commercials, and so on. It doesn't have much of a view, and isn't within walking distance of anything really. Nonetheless, it is centrally located for day and half-day trips, sort of between the city, the waterfront, and Sea Point. If you do stay there, you MUST ask for an east-facing room: the west faced ones are on the main route between Cape Town city and Sea Point, and very noisy. The east ones are much quieter, and have a bit of a view over Table Bay. <BR> <BR>have fun, <BR>AJ

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 01:58 AM
KIBIEGO

capetown is one of southafrica's best loved holiday destinations.sir francis drake described it as 'the fairest cape' and still today, with it's silken beaches, backed with the table mountain, it's cosmopolitan city bowl and it's rich colourfull history, capetown is a place to be.some of the daytime activities that you can engage in include, eating the freshly caught cray fish on the west coast, sampling great winesand tasty foods along the wine route,exploring the thousands of indegenous plants at kirstenbosch, take photographs or film the views from the table mountain, and so on and so forth. the list is endless.I run a tourism company and can make prearranged prepaid guided holidays to suite your needs. for more information, please contact me at [email protected] or tel:27 11 8046960. cell:27 83 437 1604, Joharnnesburg, SouthAfrica. <BR>