Water Systems in Camps??

Apr 27th, 2003, 11:26 AM
DE

Water Systems in Camps??

Do most of the luxury safari camps have good filtration systems for their water ie is the water safe to use to brush teeth etc. or will they supply bottled water for this?
I am assuming that all other water for guests is bottled and a good source is used for food preparation etc.

Apr 27th, 2003, 11:47 AM

DE-Hello,I never had a tad concern re the water and was accompanied by seasoned adventurers who know their stuff;there is absolutely no problem with brushing your teeth and it is completely safe. Have fun and enjoy.
I was at the luxury camps and there is once again, nothing of any concern
Apr 27th, 2003, 11:49 AM

We always brushed our teeth with the tap water in all the camps we stayed in. If you're unsure about a specific camp you could always ask your agent to get confirmation or information about the water purification used at that camp...
Apr 27th, 2003, 01:51 PM
DE

Thank you both for your replies. The only reason I was at all concerned is that unfortunately I tend to have a rather sensitive system when it comes to diet and have to be extra careful of what I eat and drink.
I have gotten quite sick a few times during our various trips so I'm now extra cautious in regards to this aspect of travel.
Thanks again for the reassurance.

Apr 27th, 2003, 11:45 PM

DE
I do too - I suffer from IBS - and have always been the one to get traveller's belly.
I didn't get ill once in our 2 week trip to Namibia and Botswana in 2001.
Good luck!
Kavey
Apr 28th, 2003, 03:47 AM

When we first arrived in Kenya, we used bottled water to brush out teeth. But after a couple of days, I got tired of that routine and just used the water from the tap. My husband did the same thing. Neither of us had any ill effects.
Apr 28th, 2003, 07:22 AM
woollytenderness

To be careful, suggest you limit intake to bottled water - including brushing the ole teeth.

Take a nice first aid kits, with something to take care of your tummy in case you tie into something disagreeable.

But have no fear - it's all quite clean and safe. Do be sure to take bottles of water, one for each person, on each and every game drive.

Apr 28th, 2003, 09:15 AM
DE

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions and I will take all necessary precautions as well as having all essential medications with us just in case......This is going to be one amazing experience and hopefully I will do just fine.

Apr 28th, 2003, 06:53 PM

DE - when do you leave and return? You can also email me at [email protected] if you don't want to post that info here.
Apr 28th, 2003, 07:04 PM

I'm not sure what your physician has recommended for medication...mine suggests Imodium and Cipro (Cipro if stomach ailment is accompanied by fever).

Also, I was curious if anyone has followed recommendations for polio vaccine and typhoid vaccine when traveling to South Africa.
Apr 28th, 2003, 07:21 PM
DE

Clematis,
Will email you with a description of our trip.

Girlpolo.
We have just done our trip to the travel clinic and were also given a prescription for Cipro in case of bad stomach problems or infections along with one for the anti malaria which was Malarone. We also had to update our vaccinations for polio, typhoid and tetanus. We had 2 shots to cover all three vaccines. An achey arm for a day or so. I think those shots were more for coverage in Botswana rather than SF but don't remember exactly. We already had Hep. A from other travels. I think now we should be completely covered.

Apr 28th, 2003, 07:41 PM

De-I would love to receive a description re your trip as well. my address is [email protected] Just put africa on the subject line so I don't delete.
Just to tell you that these luxury lodges also have first aid kits-I needed it once. They were superb. Take sunlock on your drives-you're going to need it and yes, water!
I had taken my polio,hep A, typhoid and was on malarone as well.
Thanks
Apr 28th, 2003, 07:42 PM

De-sunlock won't help much I'm afraid, but sunblock sure will!!! Ha
Apr 28th, 2003, 07:58 PM
DE

Patty,
Have sent an email off to you. DE

Apr 29th, 2003, 05:07 PM

Message to DE: Sounds as though you are covered for just about anything you should encounter : ) I'll be in SA for 10 days in May. Enjoy your trip!
Apr 29th, 2003, 06:00 PM
DE

girlpolo,

Yes I think I definitely have all our medical needs covered for our jaunt and am sure we will have a good time. Best wishes to you for a great experience on your upcoming trip to SA and if you have time when you get back, post a trip report to let us all know how it went.

Apr 29th, 2003, 10:36 PM

Hi De-thanks, I must have deleted it as I receive tons of junk mail on hotmail;if possible just put AFRICA in block letters-for sure I won't delete then!!!!
Apr 30th, 2003, 06:07 PM
DE

Hi Patty,

Will do.

May 16th, 2003, 05:22 PM
sandi

In Kenya & Tanzania we used bottled water only because all the hotels and camps (all 4* & 5*) provided it. We've learned from foreign travel, that if the water is potable they usually have a sign that indicates such, if not they provide bottled or aerated (filtered) water for guests.
Prior leaving on our safari we stopped in market and picked-up a case of bottled water to have in our van (cost about $3 for 12 64oz bottles) put in ice chest, but we never drank direct from bottles which were resting is melted ice. We brough straws and used for every bottled item or can.
In South Africa we drank from the tap as there's nothing wrong with the water in South Africa.
While in Vic Falls our hotel had it's own filtration system so no trouble brushing teeth; though in Botswana, again camps provided bottled water, so that's what we used for teeth brushing, and had bottled water for use while on the road.

Search this Thread