Wahoo... Immodium is on sale! LOL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go to Egypt in early September and I'm starting to buy stuff for trip.....

I'm pondering 2 or 3 packets of Immodium! lol

My workmate travelled to Egypt and had no trouble... I hope I am the same!
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 02:04 PM

You're scaring me.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 02:43 PM

Don't bother - just get some of their local remedy, I think it's called Antinal, in Egypt. Cheaper by far and supposedly more effective than Imodium (I was one of the lucky ones who had no problem, so I can't personally attest to its effectiveness)
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 03:48 PM

I can personally attest to it, and it is most effective. In fact, I bought more of it to bring with me to other countries where I might have problems.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 06:06 PM

There was a thread on Mummy Tummy in Egypt last July.

I answered questions on this topic then...so here is the thread from last year.

AntiNal is cheap and over the counter there...but don't fool yourself, if you get really sick ( not many people do )

then you will require Cipro and Immodium.

However ,for the causes of Mummy Tummy, the antiNal will work fine, for this mild upset.

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...edications.cfm
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 03:05 AM

Hi Percy.

Good thread. So, if I understand correctly, you are saying to bring Immodium and Cipro (if doctor prescribes it) as opposed to waiting and buying Antinal there. BTW, we are only in Cairo for a day or two before traveling onward to Kenya for a safari so whatever meds I bring need to work for whatever I may encounter in Kenya as well.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

SF.. no way will I go without my immodium! lol

Anyhow, I thought antinal was just to stop the sickness.. and if so, you'd possibly need the immodium to stop any "problems" whilst trying to continue siteseeing... at least until the Antinal takes away the nasties.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 08:26 AM

<<<SF.. no way will I go without my immodium! lol>>>

Well, me either really -- just reporting what I've heard over the years
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 11:22 AM

I agree, if your system likes immodium, bring it. It will stop you up for the day while you site see. ANTiNOL will be good for curing what ails you, but the immodium will solve the immediate problem.
If you want Cipro, wait and get it here too. No prescription needed and it's WAY less expensive!
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 06:44 PM

Hi long2travel

Well you heard what Casual_Cairo said ( Hi Debbie).

The Immodium is cheaper in Cairo and she would certainly know.!

Since you are going to Kenya from Cairo,I would take Cipro and Immodium with you BUT get the "Quick Dissolve" type.

If you get a bit of upset in Cairo, I am sure AntiNal will suffice ( if anything is needed) for the short duration you are there.

Have a nice time in Kenya. ..wish I was going there again.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 03:10 AM

Percy - I said BRING Immodium and buy the Cipro here. Immodium may be here by some other name, but I'm not aware of it. Cipro is here for sure though.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 01:36 PM

Got it. Thank you both. I go to the travel doc tomorrow. I will let you know if they mention anything different than I've seen here.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 01:45 PM

After reading the op I was thinking of the thread I started, and was going to post a link to it, Percy beat me to it!
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 01:58 PM

So, how cheap is Cipro in Egypt?
My recent script (as I never leave home without it) cost less than $5 for 10/tabs. And, since I didn't need them, will squirrel them away till next trip somewhere and still get another script next time I'm goin' to be on the road!

Anyway, I feel it's best to bring with you what you know and may have previously used, rather than hope you have the time to buy something locally "in-country" should the need arise.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 10:15 PM

sandi - I'm going to take a wild guess and say that your $5 Cipro comes to you at that price because of a very nice insurance program you are on. Am I right?
If people are not that lucky, they can pay as much as $100 just for the doctors appt to get the prescription, and then quite a bit more for the tablets.
I haven't bought Cipro here for some time, but my guess is they are close to the same price you are paying, but no prescription needed so the actual cost is less than $10. If someone needs to know for sure, tell me and I'll go to a Pharmacy and find out how much they are.
I agree with you though that if you have something at home and it isn't terribly expensive, bring it with you. You'll be more comfortable with it. Otherwise, there is a multitude of medicines available here at much less cost, if you are OK with that - and a Pharmacy on every corner, so not too difficult to get hold of.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:41 AM

Debbie -

Yes my cost was with a Drug Plan, but a friend who doesn't have, didn't pay all that much more... believe $20-25, which is still quite reasonable. And, none of us bothers to go "in" to see doc, rather we just call for the script at No Charge. Why it's good to have a regular relationship with your doc.

Thankfully, have never had tummy upset or need to use any of the meds always packed for such purposes.

So best to bring what you know or have used and if you have time once in any country to buy locally, do so. Just be prepared, in case!
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:35 AM

I just called the Pharmacy and asked what 10 Cipro tablets cost with a Health/ Drug Plan and without a Plan.

So for 10 500 mgm Cipro pills the cost is :

1. with Health/ Drug Plan...... $ 7.50

2. without health/Drug plan.... $26.00

This is just a comparison , because the cost varies according to Drug Plans in different States and different Countries.

But at least it shows that it is very much cheaper with a Drug Plan.

Hi everyone
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:32 AM

Don't freak out about tummy issues MissGreen! It's not a guaranteed thing. I didn't have any problems and I wasn't all that careful (brushed my teeth with the tap water, ate fruit from the hotels and cruise boat, drank a pop at McDonalds with ice in it, etc).

I did get some tummy rumbling a time or two, but a Rolaids calmed that right down and no problems. I took Immodium (I never travel without it, even just a few hours from home), Rolaids and a 10 day supply of Cipro. I was already at the doc's office to get my Hepatitis vaccine so I asked for a script for the cipro just incase I needed it. With my insurance, it was $5. I still have the pills in the bottle and will likely call the pharmacy to see how long they're safe for. The doc told me that if I needed something like that again as a "just incase I need it while I'm overseas" to just call and she'd write a script for me.

Even though it's cheaper in Egypt, if I got sick I wouldn't want to be dinking around trying to find a pharmacy at 2am (whenever I get sick, it's always in the middle of the night, on a holiday and/or weekend).
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:50 PM

I'm back from the travel doc and it seemed to be fairly mainstream from what I've read here. shots for Hep A & B, Typhoid, YF, already had Tetanus, and Polio. Prescriptions for Cipro (teen got Zithromax due to his age) and Malarone as well. The one thing my doctor was on the fence about was rabies and was curious as to what traveler's going to the same locations have done. I'm wondering if any of you experienced Africa travelers have gotten rabies shots. I'll be in Samburu Sopa and Mara. Entrepids if that matters.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:10 PM

Forgot to mention something... I had no idea that the Hep shots required multiple visits. I'm somewhat medically ignorant so maybe that explains why I didn't know but I thought that perhaps others may not know as well. (please pardon typos, amazing what a few drops of liquid will do to a keyboard ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -