Woo Hoo!!! We're going back to Africa!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just booked us 2 roundtrip tickets to JNB for New Year's -- 18 days in late December 2006-early January 2007! Woo hoo!! Finally found availability using miles for business class on NW & Air France, which was no small feat. Now we just have to figure out what our budget is (probably on the more modest side this time) and where to go! Will probably spend a couple of nights in Pretoria to visit some friends, and then move on from there. Right now I'm thinking Victoria Falls is a definite since we've never been -- so maybe mostly Zambia and then just a few days in Botswana at the end -- ay yi yi I suppose it's going to be HOT and WET but I'm so happy we're going that I don't even care at this point.

Too excited to keep this to myself, just had to share.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 07:28 AM

I'm sooooo jealous I just cannot tell you but WOO HOO to you! Do post about your trip plans - perhaps we can chime in on them and of course, those of us with no trips planned can live vicariously through you!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Congratulations on ringing in 2007 in Africa!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Way to go Lisa!
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks friends.

I am toying with the idea of spending 3-4 days in Kruger before moving on to Zambia/Botswana. We loved Kruger the first time but only got to see the central portion, not the southern or northern parts of the park...and the modest cost would help balance out a little luxury later in the trip maybe...
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 06:05 AM

If you want a great place to stay near Kruger that is (I think) a little more moderate but has some fabulous game viewing, try Elephant Plains in Sabi Sands. From everything I read before going, Sabi Sands has some of the best game viewing, so I really wanted to stay there, but a lot of the places are very pricey. Our travel agent suggested this place even though she had never had any experience with it. I got some good feedback on it on this board and so we took her suggestion. I am SO glad we did. We saw so much and the acommodations were fabulous! I don't know what the exact cost is for it because we paid for everything as a package, but it's worth checking out.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 06:33 AM

On our last trip, so very long ago, we really appreciated combining DIY safaris in various SA parks with luxury camps later in the trip...
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Lisa, this is wonderful news! I can't wait to see how your itinerary develops.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 03:56 PM

lisa, congrats on finding your way back to Africa! It was fun to read your words jumping off the page in excitement. I imagine you would understand when I say that I feel I've got a whole separate life in Africa...almost like a parallel universe kind of thing. Hard to describe really. I go to Africa and feel this sense of absolute freedom and joy...and, then return to this other life. It's a wonderful life back in the States, but it's not like my life in Africa. Hey, thanks for sharing the great news.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:52 PM

Woo Hoo indeed! Congrats, lisa
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 07:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Congratulations! It is so exciting when you decide to go again! It's easier to share that info here because we're all in the same boat and it sounds like bragging when you tell "normal" people.

girlpolo33 - I know EXACTLY how you feel!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody! I swear, planning this stuff is almost as much fun as actually being on the trip itself!

jcastle -- We stayed in Sabi Sands at Chitwa Chitwa last time we were there, near Elephant Plains, and loved it.

After much discussion, we decided the only way we're going to be able to swing Botswana is if we limit our time there to about a week, and spend essentially the first half of our trip doing a self-drive in Kruger, so that's what we've decided to do & are actually really looking forward to it. We are flying into JNB & renting a car for 8 days, spending the first three nights at Lower Sabie in one of the river view safari tents (& ringing in the new year there!). You can see a couple of photos of the safari tents at Lower Sabie here -- http://www.sanparks.org/gallery/defa...g2_itemId=1205 -- & you can't beat the price (445 ZAR/$73 USD per night, not per person!). Then driving north we will spend one night at Satara in a "luxury bungalow," (you can see three photos of it at this link if you scroll about halfway down the page http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewt...c&start=15 -- 760 ZAR/$125 USD), one night at Mopani in a cottage (photos here: http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1434 and http://www.sanparks.org/gallery/defa...g2_itemId=1401 -- 535 ZAR/$88 USD), and one night at Shingwedzi in a cottage (645 ZAR/$105 USD), finishing with 2 nights at Punda Maria in one of the new safari tents which look really great (photos at the bottom of this page: http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewt...3&start=60 -- 470 ZAR/$77 USD per night). Then back to JNB for a night with our friends in Pretoria. After that, the plan is for 6 nights in Botswana, probably divided between two different camps, followed by one night at Vic Falls. Right now we are just starting our Botswana research -- went out & bought the Bradt book -- we are looking at maybe 3 nights at Kwara and 3 at Lagoon or Lebala depending on what kind of low season deals we may be able to find but are certainly open to suggestions!