Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Visiting Tunisia-where do you recommend going for the closest camel rides to Tunis?

Search

Visiting Tunisia-where do you recommend going for the closest camel rides to Tunis?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help! My daughter is leaving this weekend for her spring break in Tunisia(she is currently studying in Sicily). She is traveling with others who are interested in the various ancient cities and ruins-However, it will be her 21st birthday during the spring break and she has her heart set on (at least) a one hour camel ride. My question to you is;how far from Tunis does she need to go?/what town should they look into for this?/ what were the prices?/ and was it worth all the trouble to get there for it?Any information that you can share would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:16 AM

I don't recall seeing any camels in Tunisia, unlike, for example, Egypt, where they are all over the place (and even eaten!). I did not make it as far as southern Tunisia, which is too far to reach on a day-trip from Tunis, but if there are lots of camels in Tunisia, I would expect them in the southern desert area.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Thit cho for your response.My daughter keeps insisting that there is some type of camel ride south by Dous(?).She said on the phone last night that they might keep their room for the night in Tunis and take the long trek down there to catch a view of the desert and the camels but I cannot find anything online about this. By the way, your help for Malta was greatly appreciated and the group had a wonderful time there!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 05:47 AM

Maybe she's referring to Sousse, which is about two hours south of Tunis by train. Its one of the principal cities along the coast, and its easy to reach (I think first class train fare from Tunis to Sousse was US$8 or so).

Where did they end up staying in Malta -- in Valleta or outside like the pushy agent suggested?
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:18 AM
sandi

This is all second hand and only from what I recall from the video of a friend. Like your daughter they went specifically to see the ancient ruins which were outstanding. Also, as Tunisia isn't quite set-up for tourists it's a pleasure not being bombarded with touts. And, not being prepared for tourists, except for the major cities, the hotels are wanting.

But to camel rides. These were available at many of the ruin sites. Unfortunately, I don't recall which in particular. I'm certain once your daughter arrives in-country she can inquire and I'm sure she'll find a camel to her liking. But remember, a camel is not a pet... they do tend to spit, alot! Though have beautiful eyelashes.

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

For Malta-They ended up staying with the deal from the travel agent in Sicily for the 195 euros-Baystreet hotel in St. Julians(which she described as being in the middle of an American type mall and kinda gross but the hotel was nice since she does not have a good shower and central heat in Sicily),airfare included plus the airport transfers which she said were great as it was pouring rain and late when they got there. The travel agent even had someone meet them at the hotel with some different discount coupons/vouchers too. They enjoyed Malta and did spend alot of time in Valleta at the various places like Maritime Museum,waterfront,etc.They loved the Hypogyeum(sp?).Can't thank you enough for your imput on these areas as its really hard to believe that not that many people go there. In Tunisia, they went with the travel agent for the airfare and hotel for about $500USD for the week which I thought was decent. They have to fly up to Milan to get to Tunis but oh well-her friend is trying to save money and is meeting them in Tunis while bussing to Palermo and then a 12 hour ferry ride to Tunis? They figured out that she is saving about $60 for spending almost a whole day each way to go there.They are staying at the Sheraton which wasn't her first choice but the way the deal with the airfare went so we okayed it.My daughter is fluent in French so she is eager to barter and get around using her French. One of her traveling friends speaks Arabic so hopefully they will do well.I am still trying to figure out how to get an African phone card to call her for her 21st birthday next week while I am in Rome. Do you know if they even have phone cards to Tunisia that you can purchase in Italy? Thanks again!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Sounds like a great deal for Tunis. The Sheraton is a bit out of town, but only a mile or so, and taxis are very, very cheap. I speak no Arabic and very little French, and I had no problems in Tunisia, so if between she and her friend they speak both, they'll have an even easier time. Its an amazing country -- much more to see than in Malta, which is much smaller. I really enjoyed both places. Hope she has luck with the camel -- I didn't look so maybe I missed them.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thit_Cho-just a followup to thank you for your help on the Tunisia trip. My daughter and friends had a wonderful time and LOVED Tunisia. The Sheraton hotel was nice but was definitely away from things. They traveled all over and found the food,people and culture delightful. My daughter(with her red hair and blue eyes) caused quite alot of comments and commotion as they are not that common to see over there but she loved all the positive attention she recieved. The one thing that she stressed was that she was very grateful to be fluent in French as she needed it from readings in museums to helping one of her friends receive medical care at a hospital in Tunis. She was able to get a camel ride in but it was an adventure trying to find one? Anyway, it was a great spring break trip from Sicily and a wonderful memory on how she spent her 21st birthday. Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 10:08 AM

Where did she get her 1 hour canel ride?
And what was the price?
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

This was over 6 1/2 years ago but remembered her saying that they couldn't find anything in town .She asked a waiter at a restaurant who told her to walk about 3-4 miles out of town and you would find the camels-she thinks it was a relative of the waiter? They walked for quite a long time and then a taxi came and took them to a place where there where camels but no signs,etc. She said the guy charged around $20 for a ride?