Visa- get here or there?

Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Visa- get here or there?

I have read some older past postings that its pretty simple to get your visa when you arrive in Cairo - Just wanted to be sure that is still the case - Any reason to get it prior to leaving the States?
Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:05 AM

It is very easy to get in the Cairo airport. You must pay for it in US$ and, if I recall correctly, it's $20.00. I wouldn't bother getting it here.

Lori
Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:21 AM

That is true - just visited in April and it was very easy.
Jul 22nd, 2004, 02:11 PM

We went to the trouble and expense of getting them from here,sent passports away etc.Upon arrival staff from our hotel met us to take our bags etc. They were suprised we already had our visa.Other tourists got there visa in a matter of minutes.We did it for the peace of mind but it appears to me it was not necessary.
Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:45 PM

I went to Cairo for a brief business trip at the end of June. My colleague spent $100 getting a visa in the U.S. before we left. I waited til I arrived at Cairo airport. Upon arrival (before going through the final security check) there is a short row of banks/money exchange shops -- easy to find. You can get a visa for $15 from any of them -- I just had to produce my passport (no extra pictures, no questions asked). In return I got the visa stamps, which I pasted into my passport. It was incredibly easy, and my colleague was, to say the least, shaking his head at the wasted effort he had gone through.
Have fun.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:45 AM
sandi

If you happen to live in or visit NYC during the week, you can drop off your papers at the Egyptian Consular office in the morning and pick up in the afternoon. If not, then it's just as easy to obtain upon arrival in Cairo.

Search this Thread