Search

Visa for Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visa for Egypt

Hi,
My husband and I are planning a trip to Egypt. We are both US citizens and I have read that we can obtain our visas upon arrival in Cairo for $15US dollars. Can someone please confirm this is correct? Also, is there a delay in obtaining it at the airport?

Thanks much!
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Egytian US Embassy might be your most reliable source for correct answer on this. Call them.

That is, if having the right answer is REALLY important to you, are you going to believe any and every posting/reply here? (like I do )

regards - tom
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM

isis - You have been told right. You can purchase a visa for $15 at the airport when you arrive. The lines are not usually long and it is pretty brainless to do it. If you think you'll need help, you can hire a Meet and Assist person to meet you when you come off the plane. He will take care of everything for you upon arrival until you reach your hotel. If you do it yourself, the only delay that occurs usually is if you miss the visa window and go to que up for the Immigration Control window without a visa. Then they will refuse to accept you and you have to go buy your visa and start in the Immigration Control line again. It's not that bad actually though as even with that faux paux you will probably still beat your luggage out of the airplane.

As far as checking it out, I think you don't have to call any Embassy. Your airline would be able to tell you what the system is - or at least confirm that you are allowed on the airplane without a visa. If you were required to have one to enter Egypt the airline would be privy to this information as it would rest on their shoulders to check your passport before you boarded the plane to Egypt - if you are flying to Europe and switching carriers, you should probably deal with the carrier that is taking you into Cairo to be sure.

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Casual_Cairo is correct ( as always)

I had Casual_Cairo meet and greet me at the Cairo airport.

It is really nice to have someone meet and greet you.

I gave thefellow that greeted us $15.00 per person for the Visa and before I even got my luggage he was back with our Visa and then drove us to the hotel.

If you need someone to meet and greet you and/or to tour you around Cairo.....
then
Debbie at Casual_Cairo is who you want to contact for sure.

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM

There's absolutely no problem getting the visa upon arrival.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. I contacted the airline and was told we needed the visa prior to boarding but then I called and spoke to someone else. She said we did not need it prior to boarding because we can obtain upon arrival at the Cairo airport.

Guess I feel a little uneasy about it, but I don't want to worry.

Our flight departs Chicago to London and then on to Cairo.

I'm curious, has anyone had problems with an airline prior to boarding?
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 01:05 PM

What airline are you flying?
regards - tom
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

United Airlines.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 01:25 PM

Debbie, is right on with the details. No problem obtaining Visa on arrival. Takes a few minutes and if a queue, it moves quickly. Then retrieve your luggage.

If using a ground outfitter in Egypt for your land arrangements, they can coordinate meet/greet before you get the Visa or outside baggage claim.

Meet/greet isn't really necessary even though airport might appear hectic, but not any more than others.

It's really a no-brainer.

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM

We flew United/Lufthansa and got our visas upon arrival.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 04:03 AM
P_M

One can never count on reliable visa info from people who work at the airline, it's best to contact the embassy/consulute for that country. We had a thread a few years ago where American Airlines told a family their child didn't need a passport to Costa Rica. (this was before passports were required for all international flights) The child was allowed to board the plane but they were immediately deported upon arrival into Costa Rica because the child didn't have a passport. Once again, never trust an airline for good info w/travel documents.

When I checked in for my flight to Egypt the agent asked if I had a visa for Egypt. I told her I would get it in Cairo and she started giving me a hard time. I put my foot down and told her the Egyptian Embassy had confirmed this is possible. I went on to say that I know other people (meaning Fodorites) who always get their visa at the Cairo airport. She finally backed off but she clearly didn't know the visa rules.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 07:46 AM

WOW! I am surprised and retract what I said about the airline people. I really thought they would have better training than that. I'm amazed they don't do better training and/or end up paying lots out to the people they screw up. I'm sure they don't take any responsibility for their employees screw ups like that either, do they? YIKES.

So, trust Fodorites instead.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 07:56 AM
P_M

Casual Cairo--believe it or not I had overlooked that part of your post when I told my story. I usually tread more carefully when I disagree with one of our resident experts. However I do speak from personal experience from my Egypt trip.

I think MOST airline personnel know their stuff, but I would not rely on them as a definite source of info. I must stand by my advice to go to the source for accurate info. That source, of course, is the Fodors board.

(and the Embassy) ;-)

PS In case anyone is wondering about the family I mentioned that got deported from Costa Rica, they later posted an update. AA refunded the tix for the trip where they got deported. AA then offered them free tix to CR which they used a few months later. AA was also fined for allowing the child on the plane w/o a passport.