Search

Vaccinations for Tanzania

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2023, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vaccinations for Tanzania

Are we required to show proof of the vaccines we've taken for travel? Or is this for our health/safety? What do folks recommend for malaria prevention?
Has anyone recently been asked to show proof of COVID vaccine booster?
Thanks!
Old Jun 23rd, 2023, 03:59 PM

We were asked for Yellow Fever vaccination certificate when we entered Tanzania from Kenya. We were not asked for it when we flew directly to Tanzania from Europe.
Old Jun 24th, 2023, 08:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Desi, I just PM’ed you but I’ll answer for others reading…

For anti-malarial, I’ve been prescribed the generic version of malarone. I take it with my largest meal of the day and do not have any problems. The only person I know who did got very sick by taking it on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Once she changed to taking it with dinner, she was fine. I have read that there’s a shortage of malarone now, so it might be good to look into that now. You never know what the mosquito situation will be, but I’ve had some days where I’m not bothered and others where I’m eaten alive. Also take a good insect repellent.

Most countries have dropped the covid requirements. I had to show my card upon landing in Nairobi in February, but they dropped that requirement shortly after. You should check with your airline or safari planner to see what Tanzania’s requirements are. I imagine they’ve also been dropped, but don’t want to say that for sure.

The only vaccine other than covid I’ve had to show proof for was yellow fever, and that was only when entering Kenya from Rwanda. Entering from the US or Europe I’ve never needed to show it.
Old Jun 25th, 2023, 09:26 AM

This is the latest information I have found: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra.../Tanzania.html. I can't remember which anti-malaria medication my doctor prescribed but I didn't have any side effects. I would check with your health care provider to see what they recommend.
Old Jun 25th, 2023, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Much appreciated.
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 09:35 AM

We've been told that either a yellow fever vaccination or letter stating that we are too old to take it (we are both over 60) will be required. Hep A is required and Hep B is optional if you are over 60 years old. Its all very confusing and much of the documentation we've gotten from our tour operator is out of date. Just getting these vaccines is an adventure as many, if not most, doctors do not stock them regularly.
Old Jun 29th, 2023, 05:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There is an important distinction between what a country requires for you to enter versus what may be recommended for you by your physician or travel clinic. Per the US State Dept (link above), yellow fever vax is required for entry only if you're coming from another YF endemic country. Conversely, Hep A is not required for entry into Tanzania, it is only recommended by the CDC for travelers, not mandatory for entry.
Old Jul 15th, 2023, 06:22 AM

We were there in June, and no vaccinations were required if you aren't arriving from a country that has yellow fever. We arrived on a Ethiopian Airlines flight from Addis Ababa. At first we were asked for proof of our yellow fever vaccination, but when we replied that we came from the USA and hadn't left the airport in Ethiopia, we were waved on.
Old Jul 15th, 2023, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 02:03 PM

We are going to both Tz and Kenya. Our doctor has recently been to both and gave us Yellow Fever even though we are over 60; typhoid pills, Hep A and Hep B, some antibiotics just in case, sleeping aid, just in case and malaria pills that are taken 2 days before we arrive there, during our stay and for 7 days after we return home. No need for a covid vaccination accoriding to her but I am taking my card just in case.