URGENT: transport from Hurghada to Siwa Oasis

Sep 27th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

URGENT: transport from Hurghada to Siwa Oasis

Hello,

We are leaving for our vacation to Egypt on Thursday, and our travel agent has let us down with some of our final details. I'm not worried about the small things, but I am concerned about how we should travel from Hurghada to Siwa Oasis. I believe we would like to fly from Hurghada to Cairo and then have a private car take us the rest of the way. However, I can't find any information about convoys and private drivers. Does anyone have any helpful advice/information? Thank you!
Sep 27th, 2005, 07:16 AM

Flying from Hurghada to Cairo & hiring a guide to drive you there & back is probably the best way to get there. There are no convoys to Siwa from Cairo protected by armed troops as there are for the Cairo-Luxor drive.

Your Cairo hotel should be able to hook you up with a company/guide.

The trip from Cairo to Siwa is 800 km. at about 90 km. per hour including stops for gas, lunch, bathrooms, etc. That's one long day over & one long day back.

There are some seafood restaurants for lunch in Marsa Matruh which is on the Mediterranean.

If you want to go out to the desert around Siwa, you'll need a 4 wheel drive vehicle. If not, you can do it in a car.

Once you get to Siwa, there are desert guides who live there (Just woke up & haven't finished my morning double latte, so this may be a little disjointed) who could take you around.

I'm going there in the first week of December and will be camping in the Great Sand Desert outside of the Oasis. I need a permit to do it. It takes 15 days or so to get a permit -- whoever takes you there will know more about this.

If you can get to a bookstore before you go, you should look at the Lonely Planet on Egypt. I think it's the most complete for a trip to Siwa.

Oh yes, there's a really neat looking eco-lodge there called Adrere Amellal. It's all inclusive including all meals & activities. It's fairly expensive for Egypt, but it is all inclusive.
Try running this for more informatioln. (weekly.ahram.org.eg/2005/728/tr1.htm

Have a great time!
Sep 27th, 2005, 07:54 AM

Paula;

I am not an expert on Siwa, but I will try and help untill we get a more informed poster.

Siwa Oasis is reachable through the northwestern Egyptian mediterannean town of Marsa Matruh... from Matruh travellers would take a bus if they are not with a group/travel co. bus. To reach Matruh there are buses from Cairo or from Alexandria (if say, you decide to spend a day in Alex on your way from Cairo to Matruh. I know Egypt Air flies from Cairo to Matuh but only in summer and early autumn, so I am not sure if they would be still flying when you go.

A Question: why Siwa and not the other Oasis reachable from Cairo (Kharga, Dalkhla etc...) ?

The links below are for companies that organizes trips to the Western Desert (Oasis):
http://www.mintravel.com/tour_progra...r_programs.htm

http://www.egyptoffroad.com/trips.html

http://www.memphistours.net/safari_2.php

or

If you have arranged your accomodation (ie. hotel in Siwa), I would call them... they should know of various companies / tour guides / drivers that would fit your objective.

Search this Thread