UGANDA IN NOVEMBER- NEED ANOTHER PARTICIPANT

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone interested in Uganda - November 2005 with Great Lakes Safaris? Its all booked and ready to go...email: [email protected]. Here's the itinerary:

11/12 Arrival in Kampala..overnite at Olympia Hotel

11/13 Kampala to Murchison Falls N/P...dinner & overnite at Red Chillie Camp (upgraded to Paraa Safari Lodge).

11/14 Murchison Falls..morning game drive on Northern bank of Nile River...afternoon Nile river cruise. Overnite same as 11/13.

11/15 M Falls to Semliki...Kibale N/P..overnite at Rwenzori View Guest House.

11/16 Semliki..all day visiing pygmy villages and hot spring...overnite same as 11/15

11/17 Kibale National Park..guided walk to see wild chimps, red-tailed monkeys, black and white colobus monkeys and more. Afternoon walk in Bigodi Swamp to see birds and local people. Overnight same as 11/15

11/18 Kibale - Queen Elizabeth National Park..stop at crater lakes en route to Ecology Hostels for dinner and overnite (upgraded to Mweya Safari Lodge).

11/19 Queen Elizabeth N/P..early morning game drive along Kasenyi track to see cats, elepants, kobs, bufaloes, warthogs, et al. Afternoon boat cruise on Kazinga channel for more game viewing. Overnight same as 11/18,

11/20 Queen Elizabeth N/P to Bwindi...relaxing day in preparation for gorilla trekking. Morning choice of exploring Kyambura Wildlife Reserve ($30 extra) hike into the gorge to search for chimps, birds and butterflies or (no charge) walk in Maramagambo forest to see birds, forest batcaves and maybe cobras that feed on the bats. On to Bwindi thru Ishasha Sector looking for tree climbing lions..overnight at Buhoma Community Bandas (upgraded to Lake Kitandara Tented Camp).

11/21 Gorilla trekking ( permits are booked)..Overnight at Lake Kitandara Tented Camp.

11/22 Second day of Gorilla trekking also booked)Same overnight

11/23 Bwindi - Lake Mburo National Park..en route pass thru 'Little Switzerland of Uganda' and game drive on way to Rwonyo Camp for night (upgraded to Mantana Tented Camp.)

11/24 Lake Mburo - Kampala ..early a.m. nature walk and boat ride on the lake before transer to Kampala, with stop at the Uganda Equator for photo ops, and shopping for souvenirs. Overnight at Kampala depending on your return flights. OR

11/24 & 11/25 upon arrival in Kampala, I will be transferring to Ngamba Island for the overnight stay and also to do the forest walk with the chimpanzees at The Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary.This opportunity is available only for a short time, and should make for a truly unforgettable experience. NOTE: THIS EXCURSION MUST BE BOOKED IN ADVANCE AND REQUIRES SPECIAL IMMUNIZATIONS.

Cost of budget safari - 14 days per person with two people - $ 2,010 + $ 720 for two gorilla permits = $ 2,730. Upgrades and Ngamba Island extension are extra. Contact Great Lakes Safari if you are interested.

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 01:49 PM

hi, it looks like we missed each other by about 5 months : )i went the first part of june. i also went with great lakes.
did you deal with jaynefer? if so, she is great. we are such good friends now.
if you want to exchange any info use this:
[email protected]
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 02:11 PM

OHHOWIWISH. Can't do anything before the end of the year. This looks very good.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

tuskerdave

Yes - I am working with Jaynefer, and I agree, she is great!! Very helpful and knowledgable and nice. Can't wait to meet her. Was she able to find more participants for your trip? I saw your posting and it sounds like I am in for a real treat. I've been to Africa several times, but never to see the gorillas and still can't believe I am finally going to do it.
Did you get lots of good gorilla pics? Did they come close to you? If one came up and touched me, I think I would probably die from pure joy. I'm taking a Pentax digital with two lenses...18-55 and 90-300..and hoping that between the two, I can get at least a few good shots. What did you use? Any suggestions? I added Ngamba Island to my itinerary when it turned out I had some free time, but it will be the proverbial icing on the cake. Playing with baby chimps on their own turf...what a rush that should be.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 12:38 PM

Hi, you certainly won't need your long lens for the gorillas. You'll likely be within 20 feet of them, and they approach much closer -- one touched me while passing in Bwindi.

I did a trip report at the time of my visit in August 2003 which you can find by doing a search.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 04:22 PM

hi nancy, here are a couple of links to where some pics are. look for the word: traveloque on the bottom of the pages. i mostly did video. which i am very glad i did. but, i still had my pentax slr.i left my 300 back at my tent. was told it wasn't needed. it wasn't. i had the i think 50 to 80 lens. something like that. no more than that. i had ordered the fugi 800 film. only because it was all i could find with 36 exps. i had two rolls for each day. first trek i shot about 20something. second trek, 19 shots. no problem having both cams going. i went with whatever my brain thought i should do. glad i did it. i have the silver back walking a few feet in front of us going to his family. i would say. don't kill your self with the still cam. take more video. i have babies falling out of the trees right in front of me while playing. pretty cool. more people for my trip? lol. no, good thing. long story about that are you doing any chimp tracking in kibale? if not. you should. that is really great!! ok, keep in touch.
david
ps, oh by the way. there are new rules being put in place right now. for distance to the gorillas. about 15 or 20feet. they are very serious about all this.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1e53c/1030/
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1e53c/22aacd/
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

tuskerdave / thit_cho....thanks for the info....pictures are great...i wont be taking a video..just digital camera..hope my shots turn out as good as yours. think i am in for a real treat.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:10 PM

hi nancy, really if you can take a video cam. take it. even if you have to borrow one.
at least you will have it. one other thing. i would strongly suggest add another day of chimp tracking. take a day off queen eliz. or someplace else.
oh, in between kampala and bwindi. there is nothing but banana farms. unless your loaded (that charter flight is way too much)you have to drive it. so there is nothing special along the way.
e-mail me when you can ok.
thx david
ps, i was just talking to jaynefer yesterday. nice girl.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:15 PM

hi nancy, incase you check in here. thx for the mail. i sent a reply.
talk soon.
d
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 08:29 AM

hi nancy, do you now the permit status of your gorilla days?
see ya, david
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Dave -My gorilla permits are secured for November 21 (M group)and November 22 (H group). Jaynefer says these are really good families. Do you remember which groups you saw? Nancy
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:00 PM

hi nance, i think i had: H & R. have to look. any ways, i was wondering how many permits are left for those days.
jay will tell you if you want to keep tabs on it.
talk soon, d
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Nancy,
Are you still around? How was your trip? What was the weather like? How long was the drive from Murchison Falls to Semliki? Thanks!