TZ & Kenya plans

Jun 16th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

TZ & Kenya plans

This is the trip I am planning to take with my 22 year old daughter (Iím the dad). Any comments would be appreciated. So far I am dealing with a Kenya company called Africapoint.com

Tuesday September 13 Fly fro DTW to NOB R/T Flight for 2 $2,692.00
Wednesday September 14 Arrive Nairobi PM? Hotel Boulevard $84.00
Thursday September 15 Arrive Nairobi AM? Hotel Boulevard $84.00
Friday September 16 Kenya Air to Dar el Salaam Flight for 2 $326.00
Friday September 16 Train from Dar to Kigoma Train Fare for 2 $90.00
Saturday September 17 Arrive Kigoma Tanganyika Beach Hotel $30.00
Sunday September 18 Kigoma Tanganyika Beach Hotel $30.00
Monday September 19 Gombe Park Gombe Luxury Tent Camp $?
Tuesday September 20 Gombe Park Gombe Luxury Tent Camp $?
Wednesday September 21 Gombe Park Gombe Luxury Tent Camp $?
Thursday September 22 Train from Kigoma to Dar Train Fare for 2 $90.00
Friday September 23 Arrive Dar Jangwani Sea Breeze $95.00
Saturday September 24 Dar Jangwani Sea Breeze $95.00
Sunday September 25 Dar Jangwani Sea Breeze $95.00
Monday September 26 Kenya Air to Nairobi Flight for 2 $280.00
Monday September 26 Nairobi Hotel Boulevard $84.00
Tuesday September 27 Big Cat Safari 12 nights/13 days $3.998.00
Tuesday September 27 Day 1 Nairobi Nairobi Safari Club
Wednesday September 28 Day 2 Maasai Mara Mara Serena Lodge
Thursday September 29 Day 3 Maasai Mara Mara Serena Lodge
Friday September 30 Day 4 Lake Nakuru Lion Hill Lodge
Saturday October 1 Day 5 Aberdares Mountain Lodge
Sunday October 2 Day 6 Amboseli Ambosell Lodge
Monday October 3 Day 7 Amboseli Ambosell Lodge
Tuesday October 4 Day 8 Lake Manyara Lake Manyara Lodge
Wednesday October 5 Day 9 Serengeti Serengeti Lodge
Thursday October 6 Day 10 Serengeti Serengeti Lodge
Friday October 7 Day 11 Ngorongoro Ngorongoro Lodge
Saturday October 8 Day 12 Ngorongoro Ngorongoro Lodge
Sunday October 9 Day 13 Nairobi Fly Home

Jun 16th, 2005, 03:41 PM
sandi

On Sept 16 the Kenya Air flight price for 2 from NBO/DAR is $326 and on Sept 26 it's only $280? From ZNZ to NBO the o/w air is $240! I'd recheck this.

Also the flying into NBO then to DAR then back to NBO, touring Kenya, then to Tanzania for touring and back to NBO. How are you getting to NBO the day before heading home? Air? All I can say is that you've got a lots of zig-zagging!!!

On September 28, how are you getting to the Mara? Drive or Fly? If drive, be prepared for 5-6 hrs on lousy roads. And on September 30, from the Mara to Lion Hill at Lake Nakuru - another brutal 6-hour drive on lousy roads... there are no air connections here as an alternative.

There is no Amboseli Lodge unless you mean the Serena or Sopa? Likewise at Lk. Manyara, Serengeti and Ngorongoro - which lodges in particular? The Serena's or Sopa's or Wildlife?

And if you're looking for luxury camping in Gombe, why in the world are you taking the train across Tanzania to Kigoma? I don't believe this will be a pleasant experience.

Africapoint. Not specifically familiar with this company, but I know they are based in NBO... some folks we met on our recent trip to Kenya/Tanzania booked through them. That's all I can say as I can't recall seeing their name appear here on Fodors.

Jun 16th, 2005, 04:07 PM

I believe there's an Amboseli Lodge (aside from the Serena and Sopa). Unless I was hallucinating I recall seeing a sign for it and it was practically next door to Ol Tukai Lodge.

You do appear to be doing a lot of zig zagging. I got dizzy just looking at your itinerary

Would it be possible for you to fly into DAR and out of JRO instead of RT NBO? It would save much backtracking.

Or if you must fly into/out of NBO, consider reversing your 12 night itinerary starting from Sep 26 and doing the Tanzania portion first, then ending up in Kenya. Otherwise, it's a long way to get from Ngorongoro back to NBO airport on Day 13. You can't fly directly back so would have to drive a portion, then fly. If driving the entire distance back, it will take a full day.
Jun 17th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help, just to clear up a few things.
I too was surprised by the difference in coming and going from NOB/DAR am waiting to see what Africapoint comes up with (these prices were from their site). The flights I found came through NBO so I thought we would stop and rest for a day before going on to Dar. All the Big Cat tour I is by ground so I am sure their will be a lot of long road days. From Itinerary :
Day 13: Ngorongoro - Arusha -Nairobi
Breakfast at your lodge. 0830 hrs You will drive back to arrive in Arusha in time for lunch. Continue to Nairobi. Dinner is at the Carnivore Restaurant. This restaurant is famous for its succulent steaks as welcome or farewell dinner. Later You will be transferred by Africapoint staff to the Jomo Kenyatta International airport for your flight home.

Most of the lodges are Serena lodges. Lion Hill Lodge is a Sarvoa,

We were taking the Train for the adventure, and if we donít like it we will fly back to Dar.

I agree it may be to much that is why I have tried to put in a couple of rest days.

Nov 29th, 2005, 06:45 PM

I'd really like to hear how this trip went. It seems that there are other folks wondering how Africapoint.com does with these trips, as they seem almost too reasonable to be true.
How was it?

Search this Thread