Two extra nights in South Africa, where to go?

Aug 13th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Two extra nights in South Africa, where to go?

We are currently staying:

4 nights Cape Town
3 nights Phinda Forest Lodge
3 nights The Palace-Sun City (to relax and do nothing)
2 nights Singita Ebony (we can only afford 2 nights)

We have 2 more nights that we could stay. Any suggestions? Were looking for places that are affordable. We want to finalize our trip this week if possible--I need help!!
Aug 13th, 2003, 02:41 PM

Lisa,

My suggestion to you would be to travel to the Cape Winelands after your Cape Town sojourn and stay at Cathbert Country House in the Franschhoek Winelands (Heaven on earth). You should stay there for 2 nights while you explore the winelands.

Please go to http://www.cathbert.co.za where you will see more of the venue. I have also taken some pics at the guesthouse (please bear in mind it was an overcast day when you look at the quality of the pics) and I set up a special separate website for those who travel with me. I advise that you use this site so as to help you in seeing what a gem Cathbert truly is. Go to http://www.cathbert.cjb.net to see the site that I set up.

After your Cathbert stay you can simply drive back to Cape Town airport, drop your car off and continue your journey. This will all work out to be minimal in cost, a great tour deviation and very easy to accomplish.

Hope this helps.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Aug 14th, 2003, 05:15 AM
sandi

Lisa -

You're lucky you can even afford two nights at Singita - their prices have gone sky high this year (mostly due to the exchange rate).

But if Kruger is your last stop and you're tied into the Singita dates, why not spend the last two nights at another less expensive camp at Kruger, or maybe two days driving thru and enjoying the beauty of the Panorama Route outside of Kruger - check out the Blue Mountain Lodge - I've noticed they have a special on luxurylink.com, but don't know for how long it lasts. There's also another lovely lodge called the Cybele Forest Lodge.

The Panarama Route is magnificent - with Blyde River Canyon, God's Window, the Three Rondovals and lots of other stops. And then you can depart from Nelspruit airport south of there to return to JNB.

Aug 14th, 2003, 05:24 AM

If the accommodation is already booked for the above itinerary you could always tack the winelands on before the 4 nights in Cape Town itself, which may also be a nice restful start after a long flight.

Aug 14th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

What do you think about staying in Durban for 2 nights. What is there to do? Any recommended hotels?
Aug 15th, 2003, 10:34 AM

You have excellent suggestions in the above reponses. If you are looking at Durban, my personal preference would be to stay in Umhlanga Rocks (which is probably 30 minutes drive) from Durban or further to Ballito Bay.

They are smaller towns set in beautiful semitropical surroundings.You can always go into Durban if you want.
Aug 19th, 2003, 02:51 PM
dunas_dog

I would agree that a couple of days in the Winelands would be great, We stayed at La Petite ferme in Franshoek, in the cottages overlooking the vally, and it was wonderful. Go to http://www.timeforafrica.com/southafrica/petitferme.htm

Aug 19th, 2003, 09:46 PM

Lisa,

Under normal circumstances Dunas_Dog's info to you would be spot on but right now, and also for the next 2 months, my suggestion is DO NOT stay at the cottages at Le Petit Ferme.

Two weeks ago I arrived at the cottages for a 3 night stay and walked away from the venue in absolute disgust because the management is building a new cottage next to the original 3 cottages. The noise was unbearable and where we would have liked to have a quiet, peaceful 3 days if we stayed on we would have had workmen walking all over us. This situation is going to prevail for the next couple of weeks and even though the management have said that all will be over building wise in a short period, the self same management guaranteed me a quiet 3 days when I was was supposed to stay at their premises telling me that their building operation would be complete.

Lisa I am unsure as to when you will be visting us but if it is soon TAKE HEED to what I am warning you about this venue which I must add under normal circumstances is as Dunas_Dog correctly states a wonderful place to stay.

Hope this helps.Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Aug 20th, 2003, 05:42 AM
PCHsmiles

Lisa, IF you'll have a car at Singita, perhaps an option (already suggested) is a less expensive place at Kruger - MalaMala/Kirkman's Kamp. I believe someone from MalaMala would drive and pick you up.

If you're flying, why not see the St. Lucia area - stay at Makakatana Bay Lodge - assuming you're returning to the USA from CT. I'm sure they would pick you up at Durban Airport.

Aug 20th, 2003, 05:44 AM
PCHsmiles

Lisa, at Phinda Forest, do meet Benson (in management, former ranger) and Jabu (one of the butlers, and a really sweet person). Try for chalet 3, and drink a toast to us on the veranda.

Aug 20th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

We are returning to the US through Jo-burg and we will be flying between locations. The reason we chose to stay at Singita last was so we were the closest to Jo-burg for our return flight home (that way we can spend more time at Singita as our flight does not leave Jo-burg until 8pm.) we were thinking about staying 2 nights in the cape winelands and only 3 nights in Cape Town, but thank you for your suggestion about staying in the St. Lucia area-that's a really good idea, I'll have to research that further.
Aug 20th, 2003, 10:35 AM
PCHsmiles

Lisa, just another idea or two to consider: in CT, hopefuly you'll devote one day to the Cape area itself.

The V&A Waterfront is the in place to hang out. Lunch at the Cape Grace Hotel would be nice.

Hermanus offers whale watching - the Southern Right Whale. It's two hours drive from CT, an easy one, partly along the coast right into Hermanus. The Seafood Restaurant (in a hotel by the bluffs) is superb. Auberge Hermanus is a great place to stay - by the ocean and close to everything - walk everywhere.

At Phinda Forest Lodge, perhaps you'll be able to get Hugh the Ranger - looks like Bill Clinton, and is terrific at explaining. Look for Kenny G the tracker. And of course Benson and Jabu.

OK, a serious point or two. A cobra lived on the path near the lodge and the shop - at the Y. Ask if he's been sighted. And when they tell you to have a ranger accompany you at night, do it.

The food is good, the veranda terrific, and the game drives are special, and especially so at night. I was in #3 twice and had a ball.

You will love Phinda. Ask them to explain the seven ecosystems of this sand forest. They also offer a short flight out over the Indian Ocean if that appeals.

Have fun!!

Aug 20th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

What time of year is whale watching good in Hermanus? We will be in South Africa in January.
Aug 20th, 2003, 11:30 PM
dunas_dog

We were there November last year and whales beginning to go back south.

We stayed at Auberge Bergundy and would wholly agree with PCHsmiles.

Even if the whales have gone home it is a great spot.

Aug 21st, 2003, 06:33 AM
PCHsmiles

My first time in Hermanus was an October, during their whale festival. They were only feet from the shore, so we didn't need to go out on a boat. Not sure what the conditions are in January.

Just for your records: Auberge Hermanus - ask for Elsabe de Villiers, or Esme, very charming. Email [email protected]. FAX 27 28 313 1204, telephone 27 28 313 1201. The Seafood Restaurant at a nearby hotel is the best place to eat - if you go, ask Auberge to make the reservation for you. SA's chardonnay (Russell Hamilton, or some such name) was terrific.

From CT, it's N2 norht, past the CT airport road. Consult a map - at some point, go east and pick up the coast road. It takes you right into Hermanus, within one block of Auberge.

There is a local art exhibit - they will ship. One graces our wall right now. Have a great time.

Search this Thread