Turkey????

Sep 16th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Reenie

Turkey????

My husband and I would like come considered opinions from fellow travelers about the wisdom of leaving on Oct. 4th for a long planned trip to Turkey. thank you

Sep 16th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Mary

Hi Reenie, we were there in June and had a wonderful time. The Turkish people are about 99 percent Muslim, but they consider themselves Turks, not Arabs. In the cities and tourist spots like the resort cities, everything seemed pretty western in terms of the way people dressed and conducted business. I know they, officially align themselves with the European nations in the western part of the country anyway. The Eastern part of Turkey has been iffy for quite a while due to the Kurds and the close borders to fundamentalist Islamic countries. Stay away from there. Honestly, I don't know where you can travel these days and feel completely safe. Bombs go off in Ireland and Spain too. The Turks we met were very friendly, whether religious or not, and I know they like Americans. I never once felt unsafe, and I'm jewish! I'd advide you to check state department advisories, talk to a travel agent, and go with your own gut feeling. These are scary times, but thats even if you stay home! If you go, you will be enchanted by the country-we were. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Sep 22nd, 2001, 04:46 AM
Clint

I would be interested on your decision to travel to Turkey. My wife, daughter, and myself are scheduled to go to Turkey
on Oct. 5, for two weeks. There are a lot of things to consider. It appears that our tour company is having to reschedule so that we go out of Chicago as opposed to JFK.

We are concerned about President Bush escalating military activity in the area, flights being cancelled, not being
able to get back, etc.

We have to make a decision pretty quick. I think that our tickets are supposed to arrive any day. We have a couple of
alternatives - cancel entire trip and pay huge penalties, reschedule for next May and pay for rescheduling, or
possibly cancel the trip through our insurance - terrorist attack in Istanbul 30 days prior to departure.

Any thoughts?

Sep 23rd, 2001, 04:05 AM
anne

We were scheduled for 5 days in Turkey Sept. 30-Oct 4. Turkey is an interesting country and generally very hospitable to others. If you haven't gone to visit, I encourage you to consider it at some point in your lives. I just don't think, for me, now is the right time and decided to postpone our trip after discussing with friends & contacts in Turkey. The local economy is in dire straights and the Turkish people have endured many hardships of late - devastating earthquates followed by a steep loss in value for their local currency and substantial loss of income.

Sep 24th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Mag

Hi Reenie
Well, I'm also considering cancelling my trip to Turkey. Inicially I was leaving on the Sept.14, then postponed it until next week Oct. 04, still a bit unsure if it safe to go now. I'll probably wait untill Monday, then pay the penalty of changing the dates and maybe destination. Take care if you go.

Sep 29th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Reenie

Well, we decided to cancel. Turkish airlines is giving a full refund if travel was to commence by Oct. 11th. We were going on the 4th of Oct.. Geographic Expeditions is also applying full credit to future trip to perhaps Turkey or any other location we wantg. The situation just seemed to tenuous...our children asked us not to go and pointed out all possibilities of things going wrong...and I just learned that notes were uncovered in a potential terrorist's belongings that had charts and diagrams of the American base in Turkey as a location to blow up. It seems that this trip can take place at a time when things settle down.I talked with many seasoned travelers before we made the decision to cancel and to a person they advised to cancel for now. They were worth paying attention to, even thought it wasn't necessarily what we wanted to hear.

Sep 29th, 2001, 07:37 PM
belle

That's too bad Reenie--Will let you know how our trip goes when we get back.

By the way, I'm afraid this situation is never going to settle down....

Best wishes!

Sep 29th, 2001, 08:23 PM
Mary

Hi Reenie, I understand why you cancelled and would do the same. Infact we did, to Spain and that wasn't scheduled until January. Peoples sensibilities and feelings are just too raw still and Turkey does align itself with the US. If it will make you feel better, no matter what Belle says about the world situation not changing, as time goes on, your feelings about travelling may. We have friends who cancelled atrip to Israel last October because of the unrest there. By June they realized Israels still there and so are most of there population. They rebooked for July for 2 weeks, and had a wonderful time. Sure there was some isolated fighting going on, (what else is new) but they had great guides who knew the areas they should stay clear of, and they saw most of the country, and in 2 weeks you can't see everything anyway. Moral of my storyis, even if things don't settle down, our lives will go on, and we'll all return to doing what feels right and that includes overseastravel.

Oct 29th, 2001, 02:47 PM
belle

Sorry it has taken me so long to post--I posted in the Europe section but forgot to post here. Got back from Turkey October 22nd. What a fantastic trip! So glad we went. If it hadn't been for CNN, we wouldn't have even known there was a war going on. The people were great. How about the rest of you? Did you decide to go or wait until another time?

Oct 30th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Joanne

Hello Reenie: I think it would be a great shame if you cancel your trip to Turkey. The Turks are terrific people, the vast majority of whom are normal people (not severely fundamentalist) but my advice for you is to head to the South or West of the country where it will be warmer!! I would also suggest that you do a quick tour of Istanbul and leave because that is where you might (very slight chance) encounter problems. Do go and have a great time.

Search this Thread