Trypanosomiasis (Sleeping sickness) or Dengue

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a safari to Kenya and Tanzania. I've seen several postings regarding malaria and vaccinations, but no mention of trypanosomiasis (i.e., sleeping sickness) or Dengue. Unlike malaria, there isn't a pill to take for these two, so i'm cuious: Has anyone contracted either while on safari?

I contracted malaria in 1996 in South America and a friend contracted dengue around the same time. Of the two, I think malaria was prefereable (but then again, I needed to lose a few pounds).

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:19 PM

Avogadro:

I don't think you need to worry about any of those disease. Tsavo East used to be the place you could get trypanosomiasis, but I have stayed there on seven occasions and have yet to meet anyone who has had it.

Malaria is something you might need to worry about if you are going during the rainy season. However, never having seen a mosquito in seven trips, I don't even bother to take my antimalarial pills any more. I take them with me just in case, but haven't needed to take them.

Jan
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jan.
It's not so much concern as surprise that neither illness is very apparent. But, since you haven't seen any mosquitos in your seven trips, that may be the answer. I guess my expectations are getting ahead of me.

As for the anti-malarials, given that the side effects (for Larium anyway) can often be worse then the disease, I'd prefer not to take these either.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:16 AM
sandi

Avogadro - you no longer have to take Larium as your malaria med. The new Malarone is much easier on the system and what is recommended these days.

Unlike Larium that was taken one pill weekly starting two weeks before arriving in Malaria area, then will in area and for 4-weeks upon return home;

Malarone is taken daily, starting two days before arriving in area, then daily, and for a week once home.

However, you should be discussing inoculations and/or preventative meds with your medical professional, based on your specific health condition.

While I've never seen a mossie, I still take my malaria meds - feeling "better safe, then sorry" and also use repellent during dusk to dawn, mossie biting time.

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:50 PM

Avogardo:

Sandi is right. Larium is now out and Malarone is in. It is expensive, but some health insurance companies will pay part of it. However, you don't need to worry about the sometimes serious side effects that some have had with Larium.

As to trypanosomiasis, if I'm not mistaken it is caused by the tsetse fly which used to be prevalent in Tsavo. However, I have never seen one of those either, so don't worry.

Jan