Malaria moan

Jul 20th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Malaria moan

Hi All

We are off to South Africa in a months time and are visiting Kruger park.

I visited the (UK) doctors for the malaria tablets and asked not for the ones with the side effects (I think it lariam) And was given a prescription for another type, that you only have to take for 12 days, I thought great! However Got to the Chemist and was told I would have be pay £50 (approx $80) for the tablets.

Will I really need to take them? as its winter in Kruger the time we are going? and we are there for 4 days.

I know its better to be safe than sorry but I'm not taking the dodgey ones again (had them in kenya) and cannot really afford £100 for both me and my partner

Also I'm not happy that I have to pay when I rarely go to the doctors but pay my national insurance. but thats more of a policitcal statement rather than a travel one..

Is Malaria that bad in kruger in August??

thanks all
Jul 20th, 2003, 03:13 PM
sandi

According to the info I have - October thru May - you must take malaria precautions if visiting Kruger. However, with such strange weather worldwide these days, if they've had hot spells and rain where mosquitos can breed, you might be safer "being safe than sorry".

So, now it's up to you. You can stick with simply covering up between dusk to dawn and using repellent on any exposed skin.

Apparently your doctor prescribed the Malarone which doesn't have the side-effects of Lariam. I've taken both and Malarone is a big improvement. We had no reactions to this pill.

And while you might decide not to take the Malarone due to cost, but still want to be on the safeside, you might ask your doctor for the generic tablet that people who are sensititve to the malaria specific drugs are prescribed.

The name of this tablet is "doxycylene" (I might not have the correct spelling). I do not know the protocol for how many pills, what dosage, you have to take or for how long, but discuss with your doctor and see what he/she has to say. As a generic drug, the cost should probably be half or less than half of the Malarone.

Lots of luck and enjoy your trip.

Jul 20th, 2003, 04:03 PM

Doxycycline was our drug of choice. It's an antibiotic widely used for many medical purposes, was the very cheapest option, and you start it once a day the day before travel, take during the trip and then 2-4 weeks after your return depending on whose advice you listen to. My doctor thinks two weeks after your trip is adequate, while the US CDC recommends four weeks. It's 36 cents US per pill, while another of the malaria-specific drugs suggested to us is $10 US per pill.
Plus, this drug is so widely prescribed that we might be able to slide it in under insurance coverage radar.
Hope this helps.
Jul 20th, 2003, 05:44 PM

Hi,
You might want to take a look at this web site: http://www.cdc.gov/travel/malariadrugs.htm

It discusses all the anti-malarials and their side effects, recommended dosages, etc.
I took the Malarone and didn't experience any side effects. It was more expensive than the others - but I didn't want to risk an upset stomach or yeast infection while traveling.
Good luck
Sharon
Jul 21st, 2003, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all

I have decided that I will take the pills, but not sure on which ones - just of to look at that website now.

Spoken to doctors going to pop in again and have another chat later the in week

thanks for all you help

Search this Thread