Traveling to Kamina, DRC in mid-February and then on to Kenya for safari

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading, with much interest, all the posts on Kenya and the Amboseli and Porini Lion Camp, which I will be visiting. I have had my shots, think I have my clothes picked out that I will need, camera ready....but am wondering about maleria meds suggestions, weather (rain?) . Am flying on Ethiopia Airlines, anyone familiar? As the first part of the trip is medical mission, much of our checked baggage is equipment, so I am limited on what I can take and what can do double duty for me.
I want to thank everyone who has posted something. I have read all of your stories and am so anxious to get going!
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 09:01 AM

You can generally look up weather/climate info online; I Googled "weather congo february" and got a lot of results showing average temp and rainfall, etc. Here's one: http://www.climatetemp.info/democrat...-of-the-congo/

I did something similar prior to my trip to Kenya, and there are sites that will break down their numbers further so that you can target particular regions.

From what I'm seeing, you shouldn't need a raincoat (and the Porini camps, at least, have umbrellas and warm, waterproof ponchos).

Have a great time!
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

I have been checking Weather Underground and it seems according to all I read, Feb is wettest month for where I will be in DRC. I am trying to pack for both places, DRC requiring me to wear skirts every day. As I mentioned before, airlines is very restrictive on baggage and I am trying to make everything do double duty! Were ticks a problem for you? Have all kinds of mosi stuff, some with deet.

What did you spend daily for all tips? Want to make sure I have planned enough for everyone! And what did you end up taking the kids? I, too, was thinking about those rubber type braclets or punch balls (that blow up) or glow stick type things. Anything they really need or could use?

Am counting down the days! Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 09:06 AM

Ticks weren't a problem at all, nor were mosis; I actually got my sole insect bite in Nairobi. I pre-treated my clothes with an insect repellent because bugs normally love me, but I don't even think I needed it. The camps provided plenty of good repellent wipes; I used almost none of the stuff I brought. Not sure if I just got lucky at that time of year, but I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of bugs.

I think the recommended tips per day were in the $25-$35 range (it varied from camp to camp), and I generally tried to tip on the high side because I was often the only one at the camps and I thought they did such a great job catering to me. Definitely bring small bills (with recent dates), though; I went through a LOT of singles and fives.

As for gifts, I ended up just taking school supplies; I kept seeing conflicting reports on what to bring the kids, and I was starting to run out of room in my bags. Tony at Amboseli told me that it was better just to provide things directly to the school, but I know others on this forum have had fun bringing SillyBandz, balloons, glow sticks, etc., so I know it's been done -- and successfully -- in the past. Totally up to you.

Oh, and as for clothes doing double duty, keep in mind that skirts would probably be just fine for your game drives (although warm socks would be a good idea for early morning and night drives; it gets chilly). I do think you'd want at least one pair of pants along to wear on your nature walks.

One last thing, if you get seasonal allergies, you might want to bring something for them. I don't remember who it was here that gave me that advice, but it was spot on. I was sneezing up a storm when I arrived at Porini Rhino, in particular, and it would have been downright ugly if I hadn't had allergy meds.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! I actually ordered some repellent to pre-treat my clothes from DrugStore.com and am waiting for it to arrive.
As space is fast becoming an issue, I am going to go with pencils, pens, glue sticks, stickers for the kids.
I am a seasonl alergy person so thats for that tip. Since it is not an issue for me now, I would have not thought of that. I will add Zertec to the list. The list just keeps growing!
Also, thanks for the tipping info. It sounds like the service has been great and I want to make sure that I have enough to give them, so I will add more small bills to my list!
I have about 4 weeks and am counting the days.