Leaving soon - last few questions

Feb 5th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Leaving soon - last few questions

I am so excited! I leave next Weds. for my trip to Masai Mara (Kicheche Bush Camp) for 2 nights and Ol Pejeta Conservancy to participate in an Earthwatch research project for 2 weeks. I finally got in touch with Kennedy and he will be taking me around the usual Nairobi sights for my last day between Ol Pejeta and coming home.

I've been planning and making lists and spreadsheets and have laid out most of my stuff in various piles. I think I'm in good shape for not rushing around like a crazy woman the last couple of days (I hope, I hope!).

Anyway, a few more questions:
- How would it be received if I wore an Obama tshirt while I'm there?
- I am packing 10 baseball caps as gifts (drivers/guides, staff I have special interactions with) and 40 ball point pens for kids. Should I consider more of either or anything different for anyone?
- On the internal flights, the weight limit is 33 lbs. Can I "cheat" by wearing my camera around my neck and/or stuff thing in my pockets if I need to?

I think there was another question, but can't remember right now.. I'll post again if I remember.

Asante sana,
Kathy
Feb 5th, 2010, 01:12 PM

You'd be VERY popular if you wore an Obama t-shirt. He's revered in Kenya.

The guides probably get a lot of caps, but I'm sure they would still appreciate one from you. Take as many pens as you can. Kids and even adults often ask for them. Are you going to a school? If so, the pens should go to the headmaster or teacher for distribution. It's better not to give them directly to the kids, as there are usually more kids than pens (or whatever you are distributing.)

Cheat away! I never lay my camera backpack down to be weighed and they don't seem to mind. As you note, you can wear your camera and stuff your pockets, too.

Enjoy your safari! Tell Kennedy "Hi" from Sharon and her sister Linda. We enjoyed our time with him while touring Nairobi. When we returned from Tanzania after our safari for our flight out, my sister was sick (from Malarone.) Kennedy helped her get some medical attention and found us a dayroom, even though a large convention had filled most of the hotels.
Feb 5th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sharon, for your comments. Kennedy sure has a fan club here, and it sounds very well deserved.

And here's one more question; I've seen several folks say they bring a pair of black pants for evening. Well, the only pants I have that are really comfortable are all khaki/brown/green-ish. Will I stick out like a sore thumb if all my pants all the time are khaki/safari-looking? But I think I will bring a slightly nicer long sleeve blouse for the evenings....
Feb 5th, 2010, 05:53 PM

I agree with Shaytay on everything and confess that I am a cheater too.

Your evening wear will be perfect and in all honesty probably never noticed by anyone at the places you are staying. Between the good food and the recap of the day's excitement only the most outlandish outfits would cause a second glance.

Have an excellent time.
Feb 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM

I usually just wear my safari clothes. Unless you're going to a top-flight restaurant in Nairobi, I don't think anyone would blink an eye. At the safari camp, you certainly don't need to dress up.
Feb 6th, 2010, 03:46 PM

One more thing ShayTay and I have in common, we dress for dinner in similar fashion.

Layers in the evening as throughout the rest of the day are a good idea to accommodate the changing temps and conditions.
Feb 6th, 2010, 04:16 PM

Kathy, have a great trip! The email gremlin is currently attacking my communications with Kennedy too. If you want to gussy up your safari clothes, pack a silk scarf or a bead necklace or something. Add that for dinner. But really, I doubt you'd feel at all uncomfortable in your regular clothes.
Feb 6th, 2010, 06:59 PM

On the other end of the wardrobe spectrum and earlier in the day, if I know I'll be with others in a pop top/pop up vehicle of some type where we will be standing on the seats in stocking feet, I wear my leopard print socks for a chuckle. I'd like to get some zebra print socks some day.

Leely, you'll look stunning on your next trip if you put those fashion hints into practice!

You will have a wonderful time Kathyf!
Feb 6th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your advice. This is a great forum with wonderful, friendly, helpful people. You've made my planning infinitely better. I'll post a trip report after my return....

Kathy
Feb 7th, 2010, 09:36 AM

And please give Kennedy my best too! You will love your day wth him, he is so wonderful.

Have a good trip & report back,
Lynda
Feb 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM

These are lovely ShayTay, thanks!