Traveling to Egypt in September 2011

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2011, 11:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im looking to travel to Egypt in September of this year (2011) to visit my boyfriend.. Unfortunately I do not want to travel alone because this will be my first time going there and cannot find one single person to travel with me.. also, im not looking to join a travel group because i will be with him...i guess my question is how can i find someone to just travel with..or has anyone else been in this situation before? is anyone traveling to egypt in september that i can tag along with?
Old May 22nd, 2011, 02:04 AM

travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1108.html

getting better but still pretty dodgy in some areas

might monitor the situation carefully.

journeywoman.com good site for you for other solo females.

Insuremytrip.com do register with the STEP program

if you elect to go.

Be careful and happy travels!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:39 AM

Hi Eachubb20

I would guess it would depend where abouts in egypt you are planning to go to to meet your b/f. If you let us know where it is, what city for example, then people might be able to help you with some advice.

For example in Cairo there are some expats (casual cairo etc) who might be able to help you. and for Luxor there is a british area with bars and restaurants where a lot of expats and british travellers are.

If you are going to be in a touristy resort area then you probably would meet people when you are there, or on the plane etc (you never know who you get sat beside to talk to) and that would give you more chances of meeting people.

What I would say to you also, is that (unless the rules have changed) your man will probably not be allowed to go into hotels with you, stay overnight with you, or visit bars etc with you. Perhaps one of the expats can comment on this further but I remember a couple of years ago a lady we met in Luxor who was having a relationship with an Egyptian Man had this issue. I think then it wasnt allowed for him to be alone with her unless he was a registerd tour rep or guide. But that might have changed so check that part out too.

Scotsgirl
Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

im planning to arive in cairo first..then from there we are traveling to other cities together..
Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:40 PM

So what is it you need a travel partner for, the flight?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 04:13 AM

Cairo is one of the world's largest urban areas and offers many places to visit. Can you explore more about how would you like to start your journey with?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:46 PM

Going to cut to the chase here - is this a bf you met on the Internet that you've NEVER met in person before? If so, go into this with a Plan B in the event that he is NOT what he appears to be on the Internet. The vast majority of them are NOT what they appear to be. They are all mostly interested in getting the heck out of Egypt, having sex, and/or using your money to have a good time, so be careful! If you have found a good one, then great, but be careful.
The first time to Egypt to meet a love interest is NOT a good time or place to be making rash decisions about marriage or other life time changes. Egypt is one of the most exotic, and can be romantic, places you'll ever see/visit, giving your experience with this guy a veil that isn't so real.
Be careful if the subject of marriage comes up too as there are "marriages" here that a Western Woman would not define as marriage and without understanding Arabic very well, you'd never know what you were being asked to get into.

I really don't want to get any further into this subject here, as this forum is not a place for this discussion really, but my point of going into this with a firm Plan B to move to if everything doesn't work out as you think it will, will save you a lot of grief and turn your trip into something you can look back on with a smile anyway.
Don't do as one customer of mine did when her "Internet BF" turned out to not be who she hoped he would be - and she stayed in her hotel ALL the time, except for the one day she let us take her out to the pyramids so she could say she saw them. Afterall she had come this far. She never got out of the car though.

Best of luck.
Old May 29th, 2011, 01:00 AM

CC - glad you cut to the chase good information there for eachhubb. The poor woman that you had! my goodness what a terrible time for her.

Eachhubb - how are you going to do this travelling around cities? and where are you planning on staying?

You will not be allowed to be in a car on your own with yr bf unless he can prove he is your tour guide or husband. Be very very careful about all of this.

And there are some trains that only tourists can travel on and that tourists are not allowed to travel on.

So I really dont know how you plan to do all of this, and who exactly you want to meet up with for travelling etc as you said you are going to be with your bf all the time. If it is just for the flight then I dont think you will have any trouble at all. Ive travelled many times over the years on my own and by the time you've had your movies, and been served food onboard etc, read your book etc you will have arrived.

CC is completely right about having a plan B. Me my DH were on a cruise once and a lady was there who was alledgedly having a relationship with a guide. The plan had been that she would go on the cruise and he would be the guide but he got changed at the last minute, and then she spent most of the holiday trying to co-ordinate our cruise boat schedule with his, and when she did get to the same place at the same time, she could only see him for an hour! A long way for an hour!. Turned out he was already married.

We dont want to give you horror stories, because as CC says, Egypt is also full of good genuine people but please do follow CC's advice and have a plan B. Find out what associations etc are in Cairo for example for your nationality, where the best places are to meet expats, make sure you have hotels organised, and be very careful when travelling around.

I dont doubt for a minute that your guy is genuine, but just be aware of what happens if he is not.

Best of luck

Scotsgirl
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:14 AM

I am just making a comment about the last two posts... I have no idea if the poster has any thoughts of romance.

Our guide Hamdi was talking about Egyptian romances and said he has seen many tour guides and guests get carried away by the romance, but, he said they often didn't work. He said the cultures were too different.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 01:33 AM

MissGreen said - "I have no idea if the poster has any thoughts of romance."....

I suppose it is not a given, but the OP did say "Im looking to travel to Egypt in September of this year (2011) to visit my boyfriend.. "

I guess boyfriends and Egypt don't have to mean romance, but I would guess they do. What it doesn't say is that her BF is Egyptian. Perhaps her BF is someone she has dated for years from her home country and he is working here. She hasn't come back to tell us any more, so it's all guess work.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:50 AM

I'd love to know if it is a new boyfriend and how things go. We all love a fabulous romance story!
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 11:50 AM

cc - I love your directness lol

On the OP, perhaps she questioned her B/f and he didnt reply? or disappeared into space :-Đ

I truly hope not - poor girl.

Scotsgirl
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 06:42 PM

First off buy travel insurance! With all the unrest going on, if something goes wrong, you will have your backside covered.

Next, if you are flying to Cairo, and your boyfriend is there, you don't need a babysitter. He can meet you at the airport.

I'm a female solo traveler and love it. Sometimes, I do bring a friend or family member, but most of the time I enjoy the freedom of traveling solo. Been to Egypt, had no problems.

As to the boyfriend thing... You don't mention nor asked for any feedback. If it is an internet relationship, have a plan B. On the other and if you know each other in real life, have fun.
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 01:51 PM

Are you still looking for someone to travel with?! I have been looking for someone to go to Egypt with this September! I'm currently traveling the UK alone but in a week or two would like to go to Egypt. Let me know if you still need someone I would be happy to travel with you!
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 06:08 PM

Well it is September and I just saw this post...Casual Cairo is so right about the plan B and not just if you met on internet. It would be nice to hear "the rest of the story" but I doubt we will. It is always the woman traveling to Egypt or whereever to meet up with the "boyfriend". I have seen the "boyfriends" in Cairo hotel lobbys getting confused because they have so many girls visiting at the same time!! They can be very charming but most have a family waiting at home.
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 03:02 AM

turag sez: " It is always the woman traveling to Egypt or whereever to meet up with the "boyfriend". "

That is usually because the man involved is Egyptian or from another country where traveling outside is difficult. Men, (of the economic level that end up in these sorts of affairs) from countries of this sort, often can't get passports, and if they do qualify for a passport can't get a visa to the country the woman is from. She is the one with the freedom to travel and more often than not, she is the one with the cash/credit that affords her to buy plane tickets. No big surprise there I guess.
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 05:53 AM

wow... Amazing to find this topic today. I fly out tomorrow to see my Egyptian "boyfriend". I second everyone's opinions about having a back up plan - which I have. Guess only difference is we met in person on the Nile, rather than meeting online. Chance encounter - seems like an amazing guy but still need to go there with eyes open as I've read all the horror stories etc. Still sometimes u need to take a chance but be careful doing so. Hopefully this trip will help find some answers. Eachubb20 - I also wish u luck - b happy but b safe.
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 11:48 PM

Wow Travelcuz.... please report back to us! 20 plus years ago, before the internet, my Australian brother got a USA penpal with a plan of staying with her when he travelled around the world. He did indeed get free accommodation with her and had a great time. Came home, saved up again and went off around the world again and never came home! He got married to her!
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 10:43 PM

Travelcuz - good luck. The only caution I want to make you aware of is this may be the trip where you get the sob story about a relative that is sick, or some other reason they need money. It's a common pattern, so if it happens, beware! If it doesn't happen - el humdualla and I hope you have a great time.
MissGreen - Congrats to your brother and sis-in-law, but let us not forget how much closer the OZ-USA cultures are, compared to the EGP-USA/OZ/BRIT cultures, and how much less needy "some" (maybe "most") Aussie men are. LOL Completely different story - plus it was your brother that had the cash/credit (and passport) to travel. If Egyptian men could do this, more of those relationships might work out.

Again - too much said, but it is an entertaining topic.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 02:06 AM

CC - Aussie men less needy? OMG, you should see some of them when they are sick. They are VERY needy indeed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -