Transportation to Kruger Park

Aug 19th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Transportation to Kruger Park

I would love advice on how to get from Johannesberg airport or nearby hotel(arriving 4pm, will probably have to spend the night nearby) to our lodge (not nailed down yet, probably Earth Lodge)in Kruger Park. Car rental (not my first choice)? public bus? small charter plane? Would like to keep the cost reasonable. Also will need to get back from park to Pretoria to catch the train to Capetown. Suggestions? Many thanks.
Aug 19th, 2004, 11:34 AM

We flew from JNB into Hoedspruit on SAA. They have several flights daily. I think the flights were around $100 or so each way, per person. Then we rented a car at Hoedspruit. We found car rental to be quite expensive, but the best option for us, as we wanted the freedom to explore Kruger on our own. I believe that car rental at JNB is less expensive than at Hoedspruit if you don't mind the longish drive.
Aug 19th, 2004, 11:50 AM
sandi

If I recall correctly their is only one flight in the morning (unless they've added flight in the afternoon, but don't think so) to Hoedspruit. The fare we paid when the USD vs SARand exchange was more favorable was $190 r/t inc.tax., so believe the fare is more expensive these days. Flight time is about 1-hr, then from there the transfer to Earth Lodge. Would arrange for the transfer with the lodge, but check prices.

As far as returning to Pretoria - which is a short distance from JNB, it's probably best to return fly from HDS to JNB and arrange for a transfer to the train; check with the train what service they provide for such a transfer.

Aug 19th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. Looks like we'll be flying, which is good to know now so we can plan.
Aug 21st, 2004, 05:15 AM

Hi Madre

your best bet is to overnight at the intercontinental at Johanensburg Airport then fly from there with Fedral Air directly to Earth Lodge (Sabi Sabi can do that as part of the booking) and then to get back the 09:30 flight on fedral Air and road transfer to pretoria Station!
Aug 22nd, 2004, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! A couple of other questions: have you stayed at Earth Lodge? Do you recommend it over any others? Also, is it worth it to take the Blue Train to Capetown (scenery, etc) or better to fly from Joburg to Capetown and have that extra day there?

Search this Thread