Search

Tour and dining recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour and dining recommendations

Hello,

We are going to South Africa soon. We'll spend the first week of our trip at Cape Town and the Winelands. I would like recommendations as to tour companies to book a day trip to a township and Robben Island. Right know I am looking at 2 companies: Hylton Ross and Paradise Touring. Has anyone booked tours through them and can tell me of your experience? Suggestions as to any other tour operators are appreciated as well.

Also, I would like recommendations as to restaurants in Cape Town. I am a serious "fooddie". I just love food. I don't particularly care about the ambience (although I do enjoy a formal dining experience), but the quality of the food is what I really care about. Although I want to dine around the waterfront (as any other tourist), I do not want to walk into tourist trap restaurants. Any recommendations are sincerely appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 04:16 PM

Restaurants can change very rapidly,so here goes.Two years ago ,my husband and I loved Baia(Ithink the spelling is correct)The seafood was wonderful.We also had a superb meal at Aubergine-continental food with South Åfrican and Malay touches.I hope this helps.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:22 PM

My husband and I just returned from safari (hunting near Bela Bela and photo at Tshukudu and Manyeleti.) We then spent a few days in Cape Town. Our tour guide was Graham Hayward (gtours.co.za). We were very pleased. Graham is very knowlegable, cooperative, and obviously loves his adopted home. We obtained his services through Giltedge tours, but he also works on his own.
We had dinner one evening at Five Flies, and it was excellent --- 3 course gourmet dinner. Try the kingclip fish!! We also had lunch at Bertha's in Simonstown, and at La Fromagerie in Franschoek --- both wonderful.
Wish we'd had a week in Cape Town! South Africa was wonderful --- myriad political problems, but the people are wonderful, and the wildlife not to be believed. It was the trip of a lifetime for my husband and I.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 07:37 PM

Elia we are coming back from Africa and I can tell you Cape Town has great restaurantes...we-ve visited twice an italian one.I.m;looking for the address///if you got to stay at MOntagu ( cam find the name of a beautiful restaurante witn great food amd service
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 03:20 AM

Baltazar down on the waterfront was really nice with a great wine list - however we found that most places we ate in SA were good - in and around Stellenbosch - one particular good one - I think it was called Restaurant 89 - it is definately a number and is just outside the town.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 04:05 AM

When we were in the wine countryy, we had lunch at Bosmans. I read somewhere that it is is considered one of the world's ten best. The food and location are both great. Pricing was very good too. They had a website. It is attached to a hotel I think its called Grand Ruche or something like that.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 08:25 AM

I used Hylton Ross in 2003 for both a private tour (of the Cape) and a regular tour ( the winelands - there was only one other couple in the van with us. Both were fabulous - the driver/guide in both cases was amazing, a different girl for each, but both knew their stuff well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them