Too Late for March Safari?

Nov 2nd, 2013, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Too Late for March Safari?

I'm late to the game, but is putting together a safari in Kenya or Tanz. in early/mid march 2014 too late right now?
Nov 2nd, 2013, 02:56 PM

The Migration herds will be in Tanzania then, so it might be a bit busy there, but you could try. The Masai Mara in Kenya is always good. You'd probably get off-season rates then. The long rains usually start up in March, so that might be a consideration. Try going as early as possible.
Nov 3rd, 2013, 04:03 AM
SA1

I am going in early March and I booked just last month with a company so there would still be time.

Some considerations: you will need a visa and the tour operator advised me to apply for the visa 90 days ahead of time so you do not want to leave yourself too short on time for this.

And, I found the cheaper airfares along with the more direct flights were disappearing. So you may want to be sure are still acceptable.
Nov 3rd, 2013, 10:47 AM

Many here including myself get their visas for Kenya and Tanzania when they arrive at the airport. Pay your fee and voila you have a visa!

It's pretty straight forward and doesn't involve sending your passport somewhere.
Nov 4th, 2013, 09:35 AM

Your own the two correct but not very overdue. Mara acts enjoyable over summer and winter. Regarding Tanzania, you ought to go to Lower serengeti and Ndutu then for the calendar year, you will get the chance to see the becoming pregnant of the wildebeest which usually takes place Feb/Mar.
Nov 4th, 2013, 01:18 PM

'chance to see the becoming pregnant of wildebeets' - really!

believe by February/March the 'becoming pregnant part happened a few months earlier.
Nov 7th, 2013, 07:18 AM

It is not too late you should make sure you get tourist visa as early as you can so that you could not be late or miss your safari March is always good but I will recommend February as you will see the migration in Serengeti national park in Tanzania.
Nov 7th, 2013, 08:27 AM

You do not need to get a tourist visa ahead of time, as mentioned above. Very easily bought on arrival in Tanzania.
Nov 11th, 2013, 10:07 PM

The best wildlife viewing months in Tanzania are during the dry season from late June to October and time to see wildebeest is on late January to February. Worst weather March and April, so I suggest you to postpone your trip.
Nov 12th, 2013, 07:37 AM

Jannan,

I am in the process of booking a safari in the Serengeti myself for March. I have received many responses from tour operators, so I don't see it being an issue. Also, I am not sure if the rains will really affect anything, as I was looking into this as well. I think it depends on which region of the Serengeti you go. http://www.africadreamsafaris.com/choose_det_Mar.html
Nov 13th, 2013, 11:51 AM

I love March in Tanzania especially Ndutu. Have been 3 times and only had rain once during the day for maybe an hour. The game viewing after the rain was different and equally good. On the other hand, we went once in March to Kenya and I would never go again, or at least not at that time of year. It was dry enough during the day but the roads were terrible (muddy and slippery)! Also the river was very high and many roads were closed or under water.
Nov 14th, 2013, 12:37 PM

From year to year, the rains can come anytime, even during the dry season. One year, a specific area either country can have wet, where a few miles away never a drop. Both are large countries. Believe it was last year ('12) in Jan - a dry period - when the rains came in Ndutu/So. Serengeti where the little riverlettes turned into lakes, airstrips were flooded and closed. So big deal, some mud in Kenya during early March.. it's expected.

As I recall, it was late '06 (Oct) when the rains started both countries and didn't end till almost the start of the 'long' rains (Apr) '07. Duh! It's weather.

Hey, we had snow flakes yesterday in NYC... a rarety for sure.

Search this Thread