To go or not to go ... that is the question!

Dec 18th, 1998, 08:55 PM
Dana

To go or not to go ... that is the question!

Hi! I am a 21 year old single, female traveller who is thinking about including South Africa on my world tour starting in April of 1999. My tour is an award trip and will require me to stay in rural areas on farms ~~ I would love to go to SA but I have heard many comments about the safetly and upraising in the rural areas. I'm of the generation and feel that bad things can happen to an individual no matter where they travel but I would like to know what your opinion is on this ... is South Africa a safe country to travel to and would you recommend me to include it in my itinerary?

Thank you so much for your advice ... if I can answer any questions about Canada, I'd love to help you out

Dec 19th, 1998, 06:16 PM
James Downing

Dear Dana- South Africa is not the safest country in the world, but the problem is "ordinary" crime rather than something like civil war. Our family went early this year and believe that the beauty of the experience is worth the risk. The big cities, especially Jburg, are the most dangerous and not worth as much time as the country. Do not leave SA without spending a few days at a game park. If you take the significant precautions that a young lady should take in any foreign land, the risk is fairly low. Keep checking the forum for comments from other folks. Enjoy!

Dec 21st, 1998, 12:42 PM
Allana Botha

Hello Dana,
Although I have been living in the USA for six years, it is always refreshing to travel back to South Africa. The varied culture, the geographic beauty has so much to offer. Please take the time to visit our country, but take necessary caution in the large cities and travelling alone at night. Local people will always advise - so ask and then take the time to enjoy yourself. You will return with wonderful memories. Please feel free to contact me with further questions.
Allana

Dec 21st, 1998, 12:42 PM
Allana Botha

Hello Dana,
Although I have been living in the USA for six years, it is always refreshing to travel back to South Africa. The varied culture, the geographic beauty has so much to offer. Please take the time to visit our country, but take necessary caution in the large cities and travelling alone at night. Local people will always advise - so ask and then take the time to enjoy yourself. You will return with wonderful memories. Please feel free to contact me with further questions.
Allana

Dec 23rd, 1998, 11:33 PM
Peter

Dear Dana

I run a Backpackers Lode and travel centre in Johannesburg and would love to help you with your itinary and travels in south Africa Read the comments on my guest book that says it all www.explor.co.za

Search this Thread