Tipping on Safari

Old Mar 27th, 2023, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping on Safari

Hello,

I am just wondering about the tipping "requested/required" on safari. If I follow the suggestions in our travel info, we're looking at a minimum of $650 for the 12 days. Is this normal??? $15/person/day for resident director and $10/person/day for the driver - really adds up!

Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 08:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Some say it adds up, others say it isn't nearly enough for all the guides do for you. Presumably by "resident director" you mean the guide. This is the person who finds your wildlife sightings, explains to you what you're seeing and why, keeps you safe, serves you bush breakfast, and otherwise entertains you while there isn't a sighting before you. They'll be with you before sunrise until lunch and from afternoon tea until after sunset, or in some camps from pre-dawn to post-sunset. I maintain the guide makes or breaks your safari. A great guide can give you the experience of a lifetime, and not so great one can leave you lacking. I've been fortunate to have some truly special men guide me and I recognize that with more than the recommended amount. Don't forget also tips for the camp staff who wait on you at camp, clean your tent while you're out and keep you safe overnight. If your safari planner has not told you about that, please inquire about that. I generally leave them $5-10 per day in the camp's tip box or hand it to the camp manager when I leave.