Search

Things To Do in Cairo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2021, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things To Do in Cairo

We're planning an itinerary for a visit in Feb/March on '22. I could use some advice on Cairo.

I find that my wife wants to do somethings that I have no real interest in. Rather than keep here from that, I'm thinking about an alternative itinerary for myself alone. So it would be a guide, driver and myself. We saw all the major sites on our first visit. I'd like something different. Something less "touristy". Something of the real Egypt, as opposed to the Egypt for tourists.

Another thing, for both of us, does anyone know of a district/neighborhood where Oud and other musical instrument makers and sellers have their shops? I read somewhere of a Mohammed Ali Street where such craftsmen/women can be found, but have heard from another source that this is not the case, so, anyone?

We're thinking the Kahn El Kahlili after dark - shopping, dinner and Fishawy for coffee/desert? Thoughts?

The new museum would be awesome, of course, but I have zero interest in seeing the royal mummies. I think they should be re-entombed, not put on display in some latter-day freak show.

Last edited by idlechater; Jul 18th, 2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 02:45 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm particularly interested in historic houses which tend to have far fewer visitors. I found 3 in Cairo that interested me & wrote about them here:

https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/in-...istoric-houses
Old Aug 16th, 2021, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I highly recommend visiting El Baron Palace, and maybe a dinner in Korba after, which is a historic area nearby.