Search

"The Last Lions"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The Last Lions"

I just returned home from seeing a screening of "The Last Lions," a film by Dereck and Beverly Joubert and narrated by Jeremy Irons. I thought it was terrific. The story focuses on the efforts of a lone lioness to keep her cubs alive under some untoward circumstances in Botswana's Duba Plains. The real-life drama plays out even as the population of lions in Africa has dropped alarmingly. In a Q&A with the Jouberts following the film they noted how the number of lions in Africa has dropped from 250,000 to as low as 20,000 in the last 50 years and they expressed their fears that lions in the wild could become a thing of the past in just several years. The film opens this week in several cities.

For further information on the film and how to help save lions, see the following:

http://movies.nationalgeographic.com/movies/last-lions/

http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...use-an-uproar/
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 07:14 PM

sdb2 - I was writing my post when you posted. Sorry!
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 07:16 PM

Yes, I agree. Awesome movie. I met with them on Saturday when they came through Houston, and applaud everything they are doing with the movie and big cat conservation!
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

No problem, christabir; when it comes to saving big cats there can never be too many posts. Steve
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 06:14 AM

I'd love to see the movie, but meeting Dereck and Beverly would be a real joy. I wish they'd come to Canada!
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi Calo-

Sorry, I don't know if or when they'd make it up to your neck of the woods, but below is part of an email I received about some media appearances they'll be making.

"I’ve just been told about some upcoming appearances by National Geographic Explorers-in-Residence Dereck and Beverly Joubert that I wanted to share with you. With their documentary The Last Lions opening this weekend, the Jouberts will be the subject of several media interviews about the film and National Geographic’s Big Cats Initiative.

"The Jouberts are persuasive advocates for big cats and compelling storytellers. If you’ve never heard them speak about their experiences in the field with these magnificent animals, I especially encourage you to take in one of these interviews.

"Appearances Friday, February 18:

* The Today Show (NBC) – the Jouberts are scheduled during the 8 a.m. hour. Please check your local listings.

* A feature story on the Jouberts and The Last Lions will appear in The Washington Post.

* Sirius Radio (show repeated throughout the day) – the Jouberts will be interviewed by host Bob Edwards. If you don’t subscribe to Sirius/XM radio, you can listen to the interview on Edwards’ site.

* The Last Lions opens in theatres – check your local movie guides or Fandango to find a theater near you.

"And on March 1 at 6 p.m. EST, the Jouberts will host an hour-long segment on the shopping channel ShopNBC to talk about big cats. 100 percent of the net proceeds from the sale of their books, prints, and Cause an Uproar apparel on ShopNBC will benefit the Big Cats Initiative. You will also be able to watch this segment online, live, or recorded, on the ShopNBC website."

Steve
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 06:58 AM

Thank you for all of that information, Steve! I'll keep my eyes open.

Maybe I need to email them and let them know about their huge fan base in Canada.