The Dollar is a better a tip than the Euro coin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from Egypt and I noticed someone in the airport showing me a bunch of coins. Later, I was in a restaurant in Cairo and an employee came to our table with a bunch a coins.

I finally figured it out. Foreign Exchange currencies only stock "paper" and not coins. Locals had problems cashing in Euro coins but had no problems cashing in the U.S. paper dollar.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:30 AM
sniktawk

But not as good in your bank account.

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Haha, the bunch of coins is a scam.

They offer to give you 11 one-Euro-coins for a 10-Euro-bill. But when you agree you end up getting 5 or 6 coins for your bill!

The Euro has become regular currency in Egypt. Absolutely no need to change Egyptian Pounds. But I am not sure about the US paper dollar...
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:09 PM
P_M

traveller1959, I had no trouble at all using US$ in Egypt, although I did buy Egyptian pounds too.

wally, just about everywhere I've been (including Egypt) nobody wants coins as a tip because they cannot be exchanged, at least not easily.

While traveling in various parts of the world there have been many times someone has approached me and asked me to trade paper money for coins, as they cannot use the coins. Just recenly a little Jordanian girl offered me some coins in exchnage for a US$ bill. I always count the change carefully and I've never been cheated while doing this.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:22 PM

US$ are quite well accepted in Egypt. But coins - Euros or dollars or anything else - are worthless because the locals cannot exchange them.

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:26 PM

<< Locals had problems cashing in Euro coins but had no problems cashing in the U.S. paper dollar. >>

Also keep in mind.....the locals just don't "cash in" the USD and Euros. They must "exchange" it and they are charged a fee. So, if you give them a tip of $1, they will exchange it and end up with less than that in LE.

Maybe not such a big deal to a shopkeeper, but certainly a big deal to bellmen, waiters, baggage handlers, etc.

I usually pay my driver in the local currency, but if I'm running low and have to pay him in USD - I always give him a little extra to make up the difference.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Bless your heart Grcxx3

That is verg good advice.

Percy
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:31 AM

When I was in Jordan last year, the only place I needed Jordanian currency was at the airport to get a visa. Otherwise, USA money was accepted everywhere. However, I never used USA coins.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:59 AM

There's not a problem with US currency being "accepted" - money is money (at least, if it's USD, Euros, or GBP).

However for the lower wage earners - the ones who really rely on tips - you just have to remember that the amount you give them is not really the amount they will end up with after they exchange it for their currency.