Search

Thank You!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank You!

I just wanted to give a big 'Thanks' to everyone's positive posts about travel in Egypt. My husband and I are planning for October and I have started some research to prep for the trip. I have got to say, I ran across more than a few negative posts in miscellaneous travel forums, which got me thinking about cancelling... but then I came across this site... many positive things have reinforced my decision to travel there. (This has been a dream in the works for my husband and I, as we are obsessed with documentaries on Egypt and the pyramids)! One question... has anyone ever travelled during the period of Ramadan? This starts Oct 16/04 (during the time we are planning to travel) and I was wondering if there are any tips/advice, as this information is few and far between when it comes to the travel guides I have looked at in bookstores...

I appreciate any help you can give me!!

Thanks again!

MonAmy
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:49 AM
sandi

Regarding travel during Ramadan, you will find that all tourist sites will be open so you're not likely to miss anything. But since this is a time when Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset, it is not a good idea to eat food in front of those who are fasting.

Now you ask, but what about our tour guide or driver, or while on the cruise - how do you take meals? No problem, as your guide and/or driver will get you to your restaurant and you'll be able to have your meals (they'll be with the vehicle or resting in the shade somewhere); your hotel will still be serving meals; likewise, your meals will be served on your Nile cruise boat.

It is possible that some shops in the Bazaar might be closed, but not so many that you wouldn't be able to enjoy the adventure of discovering this area.

It's simply a matter of being respectful of others during this time, using common sense.

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sandi! Again, your words of wisdom have been more than helpful!! I also read your post on appropriate dress attire while in Egypt, again, very helpful!! As I come from a somewhat cooler climate (Canada), I was quite concerned about keeping cool while keeping covered (not an easy task), however, after reading your post, have decided to bring both knee length and longer skirts as well as a few pairs of capri pants. Any suggestions on arm length of sleeves?
Look forward to hearing from you (or anyone else with suggestions on this matter).

MonAmy
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:25 AM
sandi

MonAmy - Mid-arm length is good, either t-shirts or camp shirts which because the are loose are actually more comfortable.

No halter top or sleeveless unless you're on the Nile Cruise or around the hotel pool. And a swimsuit (1-pc, 2-pc, even bikini) are fine at hotel pool or on Nile Cruise boat. But do have a coverup for walking thru lobby or thru boat. But once docked or doing site tour or a stroll on land, back to more covered clothings.

The temps also can drop some 30-degrees (you're in the desert) so a light-weight jacket or shawl is a must. Though on land in Luxor or Aswan it might not feel so cool, but always have something just in case. One evening while in Cairo, having dinner at a waterfront restaurant it was so cold, we had to get our jackets.

Since you will be traveling in October you should inquire of your tour operators about attending a performance of the opera Aida. We saw it at the Pyramids, but some years this has been at Luxor or even Aswan. It's a heft ticket price (USD$100) for westerners, but similar to what you'd pay say in NYC, or SFO. If you can get tickets, do remember to bring a coverup as it can be cool during the evening. It's an amazing experience to see right there in Egypt.

Happy travels.

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Great advice, Sandi... I am trying to hold myself back from beginning to pack. I don't think I have ever been this excited for a trip before and I still have a 4 month wait!! Thanks for the heads-up on the performance of Aida at this time... I will not miss it!
Have a wonderful day
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 03:57 AM

We went to Egypt a few months before 9/11 - and even then friends, family acted as if we were going to the moon in a barrel. Do your research, and then go - I have never spoken to anyone who has actually been that regretted going. Among the many magical things you can see in Egypt, make sure you go inside a pyramid - there is something intensely spiritual about being inside, even if you don't climb all the way to the burial chamber.