Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tarangire vs. amboselli

This is our current itinerary for Feb 08

2 nites Arusha Coffee House - We wanted an extra day to recover from the trip
2 nites Tarangire Kikoti
1 nite Ngorongoro farmhouse
1 nite Crater Lodge
5 nites Serengeti 3 at Olakira and 2 private mobile.

I have been uncertain about the 2 nites at tarangire since it is not prime season but some on this board have enjoyed that time of year. I am now wondering whether it would be worth the extra travel time to spend the time at Tortillis in Amboselli especially since seeing elephants is a priority. How far is the drive from Amboselli to Arusha

Any advise?
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:13 PM

Given that your trip is in Tanzania and Amboseli is in Kenya, I'd stay in Tanzania and go to Tarangire. That way, you don't have to pay the visa fee for Kenya, and make the long road transfer to Amboseli.

As to February not being a prime month for Tarangire, I was there in Feb. 2005. In one day, we saw about 200 elephants. We also had them in camp at night, quite a sight in the moonlight.

If you don't think you'll be too tired in Arusha, you might consider a day trip out to Arusha National Park. It's a beautiful park, forested in some areas, and you have the chance to see the black & white colobus monkeys.
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:38 PM

I agree with ShayTay to stay in Tanzania since that is where the rest of your trip is. What I would consider is trading Tarangire for Manyara in Feb.

Can you tell us about the private mobile?

How many times are you visiting the crater?
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice - I am still in that phase of starting to second guess everything.

We are planning to go to Arusha park. We are scheduled for a crater drive the morning at the farmhouse and can add another the morning at the lodge.

We are planning to do a game drive in Lake Manyara on the way to the farmhouse so am hesitant to cut Tarangire out.

I do not have the exact campsite yet for the mobile camp but the plan is it will be somewhere north of Nduto since that is where Olakira has been,.

Old May 25th, 2007, 11:07 AM

gokyoto: You could go to the West Kilimanjaro area, it keeps you in Tanzania but shares a border with Amboseli. It is a low touristed area where you can have night drives, walks, and it is supposed to be a very good area to visit Maasai off the more heavily touristed area.
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Predator,

Can you tell us more about West Kili? Where to stay and what you might see there?
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM

Hey PB-
Any patterings of little cub paws yet?
It's about that time, isn't it?
Old May 26th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Lynn: Kambi ya Tembo Camp, Ndarakwai Lodge, and Hemingway's Camp (operated by Kirurumu) are the 3 West Kili camps that I know of. Some of the wildlife highlights are big bull ele's that come down from Amboseli, gerenuk, and lesser kudu. It is also supposed to be a spectacular place for photography since you can get pictures with Kili in the background and the animals in the foreground. The big allure to me is that it is off the main northern circuit so there is big land and few tourists, open-sided vehicles, night drives, and walking. A great compliment to the rest of the northern Tanz. experience. I have seen great reviews and hope to get to this area myself.

Divewop: you are correct, one week to the due date but no cub in the den so far. Just waiting for nature to take its course.
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM

We spent two nights in Sopa Lodge in Tarangire in January, 2005. Excellent park with terrific viewing of over 40 different animals - including all the big 5.

Had 5 game drives in that park in our own private car with an excellent older driver from Leopard Tours.

We visited Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge for one night and that crater is totally fascinating. About 12 miles by 12 miles wide and teeming with abundant wildlife. This is an excelletn place to view predators attacking the smaller animals and feeding. Also a lot of other things of interest to see - but all in a small area crisscrossed by many tour vehicles.

Also visited Abadere Park in Kenya and it was totally different expreience - much closer to the Scottish highlands and very, very green. Can be made in a day in a loop from Nairobi (although a very long day).

Also went to Rwanda and treked the Gorillas. That is by far the best. I like Abadere the second best. The crater and Tarangire tied for next but both are traditional game parks and game drives.
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Also forgat to tell you saw lots and lots of elephants in Tarangire both days on the drives and in many different locations. Was even charged by a bull and a second placed a mother protected her cub.

They walked right across the road in front of us. No shortage of elephants in Tarangire Park.

Much fewer and only on the south side in woods for the Crater. Much more limited elephant contact there....
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:50 PM

So that's where Kambi ya Tembo Camp is.
Thank you for the info. Predator.

Gene, I read you mentioned you saw the Big 5 in Tarangire. So you saw a rhino there? That must have been a rarity. Any comments on that sighting or if rhino are making a comeback there.