Tanzania Yellow Cards requirement.

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanzania Yellow Cards requirement.

FYI for visitors to Tanzania.

My wife and I just returned from our Kenya/Tanzania safari on March 13th. I asked the customs agent at Kilamanjaro Airport if he needed to see my Yellow Card. He responded that only people from selected African countries where required to have a Yellow Card. Not Americans. This was also confirmed by our guide who picked us up at the airport.

Thanks to Brendan Tours outdated information, it cost us $208 in unneeded inoculations.

My advise to travelers to Tanzania, is to check with the Tanzania embassy for the latest requirment.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't consider it unnecessary. The vaccine is good for ten years so if you decide to go back you're covered. Just look at it as an excuse to go back to East Africa get your moneys worth. Also, better safe then sorry.

Juliet
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:02 AM
sandi

The YF inoc is a chunk of change, but if you had been transiting through another country that required it, you could have been in trouble.

As Juliet mentions, the inoc is good for 10/years, so will hold for a return visit to Africa or eleswhere in the world.

When we visited Kenya/Tanzania in '98, we needed YF, as if crossing the border at Namanga, you had to show the YF card, though if only visiting Kenya or Tanzania, we didn't need it. No one even looked at the card. But that's not the interesting thing. We then headed to the Seychelle Islands, and everyone landing had to show proof of YF inoc. Realize the people on the plane originated in the UK, and only stopped in NBO (never got off the plane, just parked at the jetway) to pick up passengers... they all had to have and show proof of YF inoc.

While there is conflicting information out there and your tour operator wasn't current for your specific trip; since you can't be un-inoculated, look at the positive and plan another trip somewhere where it maybe needed - you've got 10/yrs and at $10/person, it's a good deal.