tanzania to kenya--yellow fever question

Jun 8th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

tanzania to kenya--yellow fever question

HI there, I'm flying to Tanzania on the 15th of this month on a VERY last minute business trip. I only got vaccinated against yellow fever today (the 8th) which means it won't be the full 10 days required by the certificate by the time I arrive, only 8. I know I can gain entry as I'm coming straight from the uk. and Tanzania allows travel from non affected countries without certification. I' know its a little risky as I won't be fully immunized for the first couple of days of being there but here's the problem--

On the 21st i,ll be going on to Kenya and I'm concerned they won't allow me entry as for the first two days of being in Tanzania I won't have been fully immunized ..Any advice or websites or phone numbers where I can find out would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Jun 8th, 2010, 11:49 AM

I was in Kenya last year and went from Kenya to Tanzania and then back to Kenya.

I was never asked at the border about my Yellow Fever vaccination.

(Of course to me it would not have mattered because I had the vaccine in 2007).

I do not think they are that strict , that being short one day...you would be denied access.

Hopefully some one can give you a website or phone number for over there.

Good Luck
Jun 8th, 2010, 01:11 PM

My wife and I traveled from Kenya to Tanzania and back two weeks ago and we only had to show our yellow cards upon entry into Tanzania from Kenya. They only wanted to see our passports and our departure/entry cards as we transitioned from Tanzania to Kenya.
Jun 8th, 2010, 02:32 PM

We visited in Feb and travelled back and forth...always needed to show our certificate.

I would not jeopardize my entry.

Safe trip!

SV
Jun 8th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, as SV said though I'm not sure I can afford the risk of being asked and there being a problem as this is a business trip and I'll be expected.
I was actually wondering if anyone knew the legality of the problem and if I would be allowed in IF I were asked to produce the certificate (given the delayed vaccination)...
Jun 8th, 2010, 03:34 PM

NR
Don't worry. We got the shots 2 days prior to departure a couple of years ago. The guideline is for weeks ahead - just in case your body shows reactions.

We didn't even experience a tiny swollen thing.

But get the shot soon.

Happy landings!

SV
Jun 8th, 2010, 08:44 PM

NR47: You should not have any trouble entering Kenya; IF/IF anyone looks at the dates when you enter Kenya, the ONLY thing they are going to look at is whether that date of entry (the 21st) is more than 10 days after you received the vaccination on the 8th. FWIW, there has never been a recorded case of YF in Tanzania, so you are not a risk to the folks in Kenya. Tanzania is being removed from WHO's list of "countries with transmission risk" this year, which will show up in the 2011 version of the CDC book.

SV: effective 1/09 the yellow WHO cards list the date you receive the YF vaccine, the date it becomes valid (i.e 10 days after you get the shot), and the date it expires (10 yrs. minus one day)
Jun 9th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Ok good to know all. Especially about the border crossing.NOw about the health risk, I'll be there on day of the YF jab so not fully innoculated but from what Skibumette says there's little or no risk? Sorry if I sound a little overly cautious but it'll be my first time in Africa and don't know what to expect.
Any thoughts?
Jun 9th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Sorry that should read day "8" since the YF jab. Will it be effective by then?

Search this Thread