Tanzania Safari Pictures....

Jun 14th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Tanzania Safari Pictures....

Hi All,

I recently returned from my trip to Tanzania. We went to Tarangire, Manyara , Serengeti and Ngorongoro. We were able to catch the migration near Seronera. It was just the best experience of my life. My trip is over , I envy the guys who are going in a few days. I have put a few pictures on photo.net. Please check them out and post your comments.

Link
=====
http://www.photo.net/photos/vjhanak
Jun 14th, 2005, 12:11 PM

Thanks!

Wow on that woodpecker!
Plus some great ele and lion pics too...
And I really like the close ups on the impalas!
Your migration pics really give a sense of numbers...
Same on the flamingo front!

Very nice collection indeed!
Jun 14th, 2005, 12:38 PM

WOW! Your photos got me so excited for our upcoming trip (August 3)--we are going to most of the same places, with the exclusion of Manyara.

Could you please say what type of camera you used to capture all these great shots?
Jun 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Gorgeous. I take it you had a good time?

Thanks for sharing these; you're a great photographer. And of course I could go on and on about the subjects!
Jun 14th, 2005, 12:43 PM

GREAT PHOTOS!! Since I'm supposed to be working I skimmed through the thumbnails. I'll have to go through them again tonight.

I think the woodpecker is an African Hoopoe.

What lens are you using?

Congrats on a great safari!

Jun 14th, 2005, 12:44 PM

great pics! i still have 4 months to go, and time is passing slowly!
Jun 14th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Oops, just realized that clicking the photo answers my question about the camera. So Canon EOS 300D - Digital Rebel? Awesome.
Jun 14th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Wonderful shots. The close-ups look real crisp. Even the non-migration shots were great - I don't often see too many pictures of bat earred foxes.

Not to be too greedy but any chance of a trip report?
Jun 14th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

sundowner, Thanks for noticing my mistake. I have corrected the name now.
Jun 14th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Great shots! Really enjoyed the African Hoopoe!!! We leave in less than 4 days for southern Tanzania so you can imagine the effect these "apetizers" had on me!! Thanks and am also looking foward to trip report.
Dick
Jun 14th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

All,

Thank you for your kind words. I hope you are able to see the beauty of Serengeti as I saw it. I have a few more pictures to add . I am working on a trip report and will post it soon.

Camera and Lens details
========================
Camera -- Canon digital rebel (300D)
Lens -- Canon 100-400 mm USM IS L Lens
-- Canon 17-40 mm USM L Lens

Other Stuff
===========
Heliopan Polarizer
Cokin ND Filters
Wolverine 40 GB hard drive
2 1GB CF Cards
Additional Batteries

For DSLR users -- I highly recommend that you understand the process of cleaning the sensor. Dust might get into your sensor and ruin some images. Some of my images have a speck in them

Also recommended is the eclipse ccd sensor swab and cleaner.
Jun 14th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to add that a simple bean bag was the most effective support for long lenses. My monopod and tripod had very little use while on safari.
Jun 14th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Some amazing photos and I didn't see any specks.

I loved the flamingos, sunrises/sets, the impala faces and face, the giraffe horns, the drinking lion, then with the vehicle for perspective. You saw a lion in a tree! Where was that? A favorite bird is the African Hoopoe and you captured it perfectly.

It doesn't get much better than best experience of your life!

Thanks for sharing! I'm betting you'll return.
Jun 14th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

atravelynn,

Yes, I will definitely return(not sure when) . One trip is not enough...

We saw the tree climbing lions in Serengeti. Our guide told us that its a misconception that lions climb trees only in Manyara.
Jun 15th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Hi, Serengeti--
These photos have me beyond exited. We'll be leaving for our own Kenya/Tanzania adventure on June 27. Can hardly wait. The quality and composition of your photos, however, will no doubt make what I can take with my little Olympus C-770 pale in comparison. Whatever good shots I get will probably be a matter of luck. So.......I guess I'll have to revisit your collection from time to time. At any rate, thanks so much for sharing. And I, too, along with others, am looking forward to your trip report.
Jun 15th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Bo2642,

I envy you. Have a great time. Actually the pictures do not matter. The experience and memories will stay with you for a life time. Have a good trip.
Jun 15th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Awesome photos! Thanks so much for sharing.

Jan
Jun 15th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Simply Beautiful...Looking forward to reliving the magic of the trip through your report. Welcome Home!
Brenda
Jun 15th, 2005, 08:56 PM

Dear Serengeti,

Absolutely loved the photos! The lion and lionesses photos were great and to me, zebra photos always look good - very photogenic animals. Also loved the flamingoes, the flying birds plus the one of a double reflection. But my absolutely favourite one is the female impala heads - especially the one with 2 female heads looking in a similar direction. It is always on my to-do photo list and one that seems easy enough but also the one I have had little success with because as soon as the vehicle stops they turn and walk away. In fact, I am trying to get all the antelope heads, usually the male, but for the impala, I much prefer the female face.

Great work, and I do believe that good photos really help to remember a trip. I look at my past gameviewing albums requently, and from trip to trip and year to year, it is amazing what detail you can forget, that the photos bring back to mind instantly!

Kaye
Jun 15th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi austkaye,

Thanks for your compliments. Yes, the impalas are quite shy and do not stay still for long. For me, Dik Dik was extremely difficult to photograph. Could not get any decent shots.

Search this Thread