Tanzania or Kenya in early August?

May 5th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Tanzania or Kenya in early August?

We're having a really hard time deciding between two competing safari trips for our family of 5, kids are 19-24. One is a Thomson "Tanzania Trekking Safari" which utilizes their own camps in the Eastern and Central Serengeti (5 nights total). We would then visit Olduvai Gorge and go to the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater. There are then 3 days of trekking including camping at Empakaai Crater Rim, further hiking to Lake Natron. The other trip is less strenuous and entirely in Kenya. On that trip, we would spend time in the Mara Plains Camp, Laikipia Wilderness Camp . So the big differences are: Kenya vs. Tanzania, Serengeti vs. Masai Mara. Apart from the differences in levels of activity, does anyone have recommendations on one country over another both in terms of animal viewing but also on political stability/safety?
May 5th, 2013, 11:01 PM

Dear Traveler
Do not be confused u can do both kenya and Tanzania as you know August all animals are crossing from tanzania to kenya you can choose to start kenya and end Tanzania
May 6th, 2013, 07:07 AM

Hi friend..
i hope your doing great..you can do both safaris Kenya and Tanzania..because august is the best moth to see animal who are crossing i hope you will enjoy..
May 6th, 2013, 09:00 AM

That's 'apples & oranges' no comparison.

For August and if the 'migration' is of importance, it would be the Mara where the herds will have arrived by mid-July latest and hang around till sometime in October. While some herds do remain behind in the very Northern Serengeti, there are few camps here (even if as expensive as those shown in Kenya). Where Mara Plains located is ideal, as it's on the Olare Orok Conservancy will less vehicles/tourists, plenty of game as there are no fences, where bush walks and night game drives can be done, and still only a 5/min (if that) drive into the actual Reserve. Laikipia is a completely different area, where you will find many of the unique Northern species not found elsewhere in either of these countries. And offering many activities other than game drives... ask!

But, you have two distinctly different trips, types of accommodations, and should always be comparing apples-to-apples. Of course, the two areas you show in Kenya are different, but would the Mara and Laikipia be the only areas you're visiting in Kenya? Also, I assume you will be flying between Laikipia and the Mara (distances are too great to be driving). What you show in Tanzania will be covering some very long road distances and some of the activities can be rather rough.

You really have to decide the type of safari you wish and if seeking more 'activities' in Kenya as those shown in Tanzania, you should be asking for this so you can indeed compare.
May 6th, 2013, 01:37 PM

In early Aug if you hoped to see a river crossing, you'd have to be in NORTHERN Serengeti. The Thomson camp is in Central. A day trip to Northern Serengeti is possible, but spending the hours it takes waiting for a crossing might not be possible. In August you'd be able to wait at the Mara River for a crossing.

The above depends if a river crossing is important to you.

If you really want hiking and trekking, then the TZ trip you are considering is the option.

This is almost like asking should I go to a movie or a tai chi class? Very different options.

Either looks good, but it depends on your goals.
May 10th, 2013, 02:34 PM

Hi, my husband and I have travelled on safari extensively throughout southern and Eastern Africa and I can quite honestly say we will never return to the Serengeti despite the fact that we witnessed the migration - it is poorly run (we are still trying to work out where the funds from the extortionate park fees actually go) and the roads are atrocious making for very uncomfortable game viewing. I do support the previous comment though that if you do want to do TZ then Ngorogoro is a magical experience for a couple of days - longer would become tedious as you will have seen every square inch by then and the lodges are all on the rim with limited other activities. Arusha is also wonderful. As a country I much prefer Kenya - it truly deserves its title of "the home of safari" - and we extended our stay there by a few weeks. We found the Abadaires National Park a very special place and staying at The Ark quite unique (good for one or two nights max). The Mara will provide you with sights, sounds and smells you will treasure forever. If it is your first safari experience the no matter where you go it will be a thrilling experience and you shouldn't try to chase your tails trying to pack to much in - relax into the rhythm of early morning and sunset game drives and in between sitting on the deck watching the widest big screen TV you'll every come across - otherwise known as "big sky and plains viewing". Have a wonderful time wherever you choose to go.

Search this Thread