Tanzania advice needed

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanzania advice needed

I hope I can impose upon you for a bit of advice. I was all set to leave to Tanzania yesterday,June 20th. Unfortunately I broke my ankle two and a half weeks ago and had to postponed my trip. As you can imagine I am chomping at the bit to go. I thought I had planned perfectly to encounter the Migration at the end of June. Now I am contemplating going around and about September 1. Of course pending doctor's sign-off and accommodations availability. I was wondering if you have an opinion on the time of year to go, and if September is a good time, the best way to intersect with the Wildebeest. But as I am now open to decide, any thoughts on other times is very welcome.
Thank you,
Bruce
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 05:08 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident. The migration route in Tanzania happens earlier in the year. Much of the migration activity in September is in Kenya, not Tanzania. June would have been a perfect time. Here are a couple of websites to visit hillmanwonders.com, which shows a a map of the migration at the various times of the year. Also wildwatch.com is an up to date site about the comings and goings of the migration.

You may want to reconsider and go sometime next year. The birthing season for the wildebeest and zebra is February and the migration route is in the southern Serengeti.

If you are in the Masai Mara (Kenya) you can expect the wildebeest to make their arrival as early as July, but they generally arrive between August and September and remain in the Mara between October and November. Between December and January the wildebeest gradually begin their migration back towards the Serengeti.

Happy Planning
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Kmactravel:

Thank you for your reply. What do you think if I combined a Tanzania safari with a trip to the Mara, across the border? What is it like then, around the beginning of September?

Thank you again for your advice,
Bruce
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:25 PM
aby

outtabrooklyn
Sorry - you cannot cross the border from Serengetti to Mara.
U can have a safari in Kenya or do Tanzania plus Mara (the long way. flying is of course an option.

consider these points about a Kenya Safari
1. Samburu has special Fauna u cannot see elsewhere south of Kenya
2. A night viewing lodge (Ark/Mt. Lodge/Treetops) special experience unavailable in Tz
3. The million flamingo show at Nakuru
(sometimes less)
4. a fresh water lake like Baringo & Naivasha with boat trips. unavailable in northern circuit
5. ...

September is a perfect time for migration in Mara

kmactravel - your source's data about migration is not accurate. Anyhow we agree September is Mara time ...

aby
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

Wow. Now I have more food for thought. Just when I thought I had it all figured out. My mind was all set on Tanzania. The Crater, The Serengeti. But Kenya. Hmm? I really need some advice now.
Bruce