Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Rwanda for Gorillas....add on Uganda, Tanzania, Zanzibar?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a gorilla trek trip in September and at first, we were trying to include a second viewing in Uganda. But now that we are traveling all that way, would it make sense instead to see a different landscape in either Tanzania or Zanzibar. This is a special birthday trip so although I like the ruggedness of Rwanda, we might want another new experience. We did a safari years ago to Zimbabwe, South Africa and Botswana but my husband is intrigued by Tanzania while I like the idea of beach/snorkeling in Zanzibar. Any input on your experiences would be great as well as tour agents to contact for our planning. We do like to be active on our vacations (no rest days) and this will only be a 10-12 day trip. Thank you.
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 08:00 AM

Either Kenya or Tanzania would be a great add on to a Rwanda Gorilla safari. I would recommend the Masai Mara or more specifically the northern conservancies as the migration will be in the Mara by then. If you are flying to Kigali through Nairobi this makes more sense than TZ. If you are set on TZ, the northern Serengeti would also be nice.

I would not go to Zanzibar for the beach as you can experience the shore anywhere.
Old Feb 27th, 2015, 09:08 AM

kacollier - I think you are on the right track. September will be the dry season and it is also the time when the majority of the great migrations should be concentrated on the Masai Mara in Kenya. Rwanda and Kenya are very easily combine-able from a logistical stand point. I was in Rwanda on a gorilla trek earlier this week and I stayed at Sabyinyo Lodge. I had a chance to check out Jack Hannah House and Gorilla Mountain View Lodge. Sabyinyo is really special! I did a gorilla trek and also a golden monkey trek which I HIGHLY recommend. I recommend two gorilla treks and one golden monkey trek which puts you in-country for 3-4 nights depending on when you arrive and depart. For Kenya, you can visit the Mara and then get your beach time in at Diani beach. Almanara comes to mind as a place with a good dive shack. As far as how to book this trip there are many ways. As long as you book with a reputable safari tour operator it does not matter where the tour operator is located with regards to getting a good price. Operators in Kenya or Rwanda do not have access to better prices than US or UK based operators for four and five star accommodations. Where do you live? Maybe I can recommend someone you can meet face to face.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

We located in Wisconsin...and areleaning towards Kenya or Tanzania. Question is whether Ngorongoro Crater or migration
Would be better.
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about my reply, Samsung is doing auto correct.
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 09:05 AM

That would be even easier as you can fly from Kigali on Coastal Aviation to the Serengeti and be on safari the day after you do your last primate trek (monkey or gorilla). Northern serengeti will have plenty of migrations action in September as it borders the Mara in Kenya. Sorry, I don't know any safari experts or safari tour operators in Wisconsin. I am in Minneapolis and I know of at least 5 good companies in Chicago!

http://www.coastal.co.tz/pdf/Coastal...d_20150223.pdf

Good luck.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond.
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 09:06 AM

After the migrations on northern serengeti you can visit the Crater for two nights at the end of the trip.

Craig