Search

SUGGESTION TO FODOR'S

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 06:49 PM
bwanamitch

SUGGESTION TO FODOR'S

Is it possible to split this Forum into two, 'North-Africa & Middle East' and 'Sub-Saharan Africa'?

Thank you for listening.

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to second that.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 01:33 AM

I like the idea but I very much doubt Fodors will implement it. Africa board gets very little traffic compared with Europe and America - it's already one of the quieter boards.

And it doesn't take a great deal of effort to simply skip those threads we aren't interested in.

What I would like instead is for the country tag (that one chooses when posting a new thread) to be used not only for sorting but also to be displayed infront of the title.

For example if I create a new thread called "Help me choose between three camps" it will show as "Kenya: Help me choose between three camps" in the thread list.

Of course, it might look a bit messy if it's more than one country so it might be worth having tags that say East Africa, Southern Africa, West Africa or North Africa instead - an extra field when posting a new thread - and have THAT one displayed against the thread title instead of the individual countries?

"East Africa: Help me choose between these three camps"
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 02:49 AM

I would like to second this as well -- more for the benefit of the people trying to get advice on Egypt and Israel than for anyone else, as our safari posts must drive them mad...

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 04:13 AM

You're right, Julian, but those seeking info on Egypt or Israel can filter for just those countries, whereas most of us wanting info for safaris usually will be going to more than 1 country.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 04:37 AM
sandi

bwanamitch - Welcome back - oh, I said that on an earlier thread, but it's worth a second welcome.

This suggestion has been presented on the Fodor's Europe, Asia and US boards - requesting that posters begin the title of their thread with (country) then the question.

Thankfully, the regulars try to remember to do this... but it doesn't seem to work for newcomers. Admittedly, it's difficult when one sees a thread to figure out a question such as "between these three hotels" - which country (or even continent) it might be.

And remember, while North or East or Southern sections for Africa provided by Fodor's would be nice - many people do combined Egypt/EastAfrica itineraries; and others East/South Africa.

Also, think of how many posters may still have a problem figuring out which countries would be considered "sub-saharan"

I think if the regulars remember to preface their threads with the "country" - newcomers will get the idea.

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 05:21 AM

I believe its highly unlikely. Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree, which attracts substantially more post than Fodors, has resisted splitting the branch, and their posts are much more evenly split between the regions. This forum, at least based on my unscientific observations, are much more heavily weighted to safaris and a North Africa/Middle East branch will not receive much traffic.

But there is a search function that you can use to distill the posts.