Reload this Page >

Stop over between Cape and Plettenberg Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Jack

Can anyone recommend a hotel/guest house (up to £100 room per night - good restaurant would also be a bonus - to break our journey between the Cape and Plettenberg Bay.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hi Jack<BR><BR>I hate to have to answer your request in the negative but unfortunately am going to do so. Having driven the route that you are travelling many times as a tourguide /operator I would suggest that you DON’T stop over anywhere and rather do the journey in one drive. The drive will take you about 6 hours.<BR><BR>My reason for suggesting this is because right now we are going through blistering heat waves. I am talking about temperatures that reach the high 30’s and low 40’s (Celsius). Believe me you would want to be in the cool sea air at night with this climate such as that of Plettenberg Bay .<BR><BR>If you don’t take the above advice and want to stop anywhere along the way the towns you would more than likely do this in would be Swellendam or Mossel Bay. To find a place to overnight in Swellendam should present absolutely no problem as there are so many B&amp;B’s in this village that I will virtually guarantee you that accommodation will be no problem. The above advice applies to Mossel Bay too. Mossel Bay is on the sea and should be a little bit cooler than Swellendam however I still feel it will be very hot in this town during the early part of January and it would be better for you to try to complete the journey on one drive in one day.<BR><BR>If you want to be 100% sure of bookings in the area for accommodation may I then suggest that you look at the following website where you should be able to find the accommodation info that your require: http://www.portfoliocollection.co.za/<BR><BR>Enjoy the Garden Route – It’s a wonderful area to visit.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Jack Collins

Selwyn<BR><BR>Thanks for the advice, on this and my restaurant query. When we travel so far I tend to do a bit of research to get the best from our holiday and must admit both myself and my wife Elaine have a good feeling about SA even before we arrive and what it has to offer. (Anyone I speak to in Scotland who has been or knows soemone who has been without exception speaks highly of their experience, people, food, value etc.) I am also impressed by your (helpful) knowledge and obvious love of your country - Ive also picked up a few tips from you via this section of Foders. I do bear in mind your advice on the weather right now but we have a &quot;spare&quot; night on the 12th before reaching our destination - Hunters House Hotel in Plet. We would also like to play golf at George on the way hence my reasoning for breaking the journey. I'm off to turn up our central heating to try and get aclimatised!<BR><BR>Thanks again and Happy New Year from Bonny Scotland! (we'll be busy packing on Hogmany as well as &quot;bringing in the bells&quot; - e.g. having a dram (whiskey - single malt of course!) <BR><BR> Jack

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 11:09 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hello Jack,<BR><BR>You will certainly not be sorry that you have chosen to stay at Hunters Country House in Knysna. I have stayed there on many an occasion. All in all it truly is a fabulous experience.<BR><BR>If you want to overnight and play golf on 12 January you should think of staying at Fancourt Hotel in George. http://www.fancourt.co.za/ The golf at this venue is fantastic to say the least and I can assure you that you will not be sorry about the choice of accommodation.<BR><BR>Enjoy the single malted whiskey however when you arrive on our shores nd travel through Plettenberg Bay make a point of stopping in at Buffalo Hills game farm. I am not suggesting that you go their to see the game. The secret at this farm is the Nyati Mampoer (moonshine) Distillery that can be visited on the farm. Once you have tasted this you wont look at whiskey again, be it single of multi malt. ) Wonderful liquid and 100% legal to buy. Go to http://www.buffalohills.co.za/ an lick on the Nyati link. Dont miss the event and make a purchase as you wont be sorry.<BR><BR>Have great fun while on the Garden Route.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR>

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Jack., In my last mail I wrote &quot;Go to http://www.buffalohills.co.za/ an lick on the Nyati link.&quot; <BR><BR>On my oath that was a real typo and a rather funny one at that as it should have read &quot;and click on the Nyati link&quot;. <BR><BR>Further info on Nyati can also be found by going to <BR><BR>http://www.jjj.co.za/<BR><BR>Enjoy.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz